How to connect Sharepoint to healthvault RRS feed

• Question

• My goal is to create a (live)connection from MS Sharepoint (2007/2010) to Microsoft healthvault. User should be able to upload/download information from their Microsoft sharepoint environment to Microsoft healthvault and visa versa.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

At present, there is no established method through which you can make a connection from SharePoint site to the HealthVault without doing any programming.The current architecture of HealthVault exposes many useful Web APIs through which applications can talk to the HealthVault platform. When you want to make a connection to the HealthVault platform you have to use these APIs.
    In HealthVault to make this communication easier we have created a .Net SDK wrapper over the web APIs. Applications can leverage on this SDK while integrating with HealthVault. With the .Net SDK in place, for  a normal integration the amount of code you have to write is very less (just two or three lines of code for reading and writing data).

But if in case you are not able to use the .Net SDK for some reason or can't meet all the .Net SDK requirements then you will have to use the web APIs directly or you will have to do some work around as I explained in my previous reply.

Also, can you please look into the thread below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/healthvault/thread/64e4ed2f-cebb-4f83-bb28-01a3b11e5826

-Mahesh
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hello,

There is no difference between companies in US and Europe in connecting to HealthVault for an application. "http://www.healthvault.com/" is intended for users in U.S. Like wise, we have applications in UK and Canada. To connect to SharePoint and HealthVault, you need to develop an application where it will act as a middle ware application.

HealthVault supports stand alone applications and web based applications(Online and Offline). SODA applications offer a way to connect rich client applications to HealthVault. You can download the .Net SDK, if you have not downloaded and try the samples present in the SDK. Once you have the sample applications up and running and have read through the documentation there, you should be able to determine how to proceed. Also, you can check our MSDN Developer Center and  Getting Started Guide. As per my knowledge, there is no information regarding the integration solution between Microsoft Navision and HealthVault.

-Mahesh
    • Marked as answer by Aneesh D Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:01 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Oddy71-- to add on to what Mahesh has said here:

HealthVault, whether the US or any other country, is application agnostic.  It provides a plain XML in/out interface with some additional certificate signing used for security and identity verification.  Any solution that works in the US will work in Europe or anywhere else.  There is no specific Sharepoint support built in to HealthVault, but, like any platform, it is not unsupported.  Any application or middle-tier layer that can send and receive XML, and can sign messages with certificates, can communicate with HealthVault equally easily.

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:50 PM
  • This issue is now resolved in the email communication. I have sent the code through email.
    -Mahesh
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It is possible to create connection from SharePoint to HealthVault.
    We have partner who has done this before and seen that in most of cases SharePoint pages have been derived from their own SharePoint specific classes other than Health service page. In this case, you have to insert all the authentication and cookie creation code into the page source code explicitly.

-Mahesh
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for your replay but I am looking for a solution where you don’t have to program. Bothe of them are from one supplier, so there must be a way where they can talk to one and other without programming.

Perhaps you can help me with more detailed information how they (your partner) established the connection between the systems.

To be honest I really don’t understand your replay, I am more a functional guy.

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hello,

At present, there is no established method through which you can make a connection from SharePoint site to the HealthVault without doing any programming.The current architecture of HealthVault exposes many useful Web APIs through which applications can talk to the HealthVault platform. When you want to make a connection to the HealthVault platform you have to use these APIs.
    In HealthVault to make this communication easier we have created a .Net SDK wrapper over the web APIs. Applications can leverage on this SDK while integrating with HealthVault. With the .Net SDK in place, for  a normal integration the amount of code you have to write is very less (just two or three lines of code for reading and writing data).

But if in case you are not able to use the .Net SDK for some reason or can't meet all the .Net SDK requirements then you will have to use the web APIs directly or you will have to do some work around as I explained in my previous reply.

Also, can you please look into the thread below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/healthvault/thread/64e4ed2f-cebb-4f83-bb28-01a3b11e5826

-Mahesh
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:25 PM
  • HI,

I have worked on such kind of project which involve integration of SharePoint and Healthvault. You have to use Offline Connection to retrieve HealthVault entity in the SharePoint Development code means you might be displaying it in Webpart, Usercontrol ,etc.

Prior to that you have to retrieve applicationid and recordid for these and you can use while you use it during offline connection.

Hope this will helpful.

Thanks Shrivallabh Kulkarni
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Thanks guys!!!

The following 2 weeks I am going to try your solutions.

I   will keep you all posted

Thanks again.

Oddy

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Ok Guys,

This is how far I came:

• I have managed to install the client application that was stored in the SDK package, HVClientSample.
    • I was able to download and upload Weight measurement data from HealthVault into the HVClientSample application and back again.
    • Another important discovery that I made was discovering the table structure of HealthVault.

Unfortunately is my programming skill not that good that I could manage to modify the HVClientSample to be used as a middle ware for the integration between SharePoint and HealthVault. Using middleware is not my goal. My goal is to create a link between SharePoint and HealthVault using some code in SharePoint.

Is my goal applicable? If so where can I find the code or where do I need to look for?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

You are also going in same way when i have started integrating SharePoint and HealthVault.:) So do not think you are not good in programming.

The example applications are ASP.net application and these Pages cs are derived from HealthServicePage. Then you will directly access all the HealthVault info in that such as PersonInfo. 

But you can not add such kind page which are derived HealthServicePage in SharePoint. So online record retrieval is not possible in SharePoint Context. So for this you have to use Online application of ASP.net then retrieve the applicationid and recordid. And then use this in Offline Connecation in SharePoint context.

Hope this will very helpful.

Thanks Shrivallabh Kulkarni
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hey Guy’s

What I am trying to understand is the following.

How could companies in the US connect their system with HealthVault "easley" and if we (Europe) are trying to connect HealthVault with SharePoint is to difficult. In other words, how did they managed to exchange data between their information system and HealthVault? Are they using middleware solutions?

Does HealthVault support middleware solution(standalone application or web-based). I mean, using an application to log into HealthVault and download data (e.g. XML) and on the other side, one could connect SharePoint or Navision to it?

And finally is there information regarding the integration solution between Microsoft Navision and HealthVault?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Hello,

There is no difference between companies in US and Europe in connecting to HealthVault for an application. "http://www.healthvault.com/" is intended for users in U.S. Like wise, we have applications in UK and Canada. To connect to SharePoint and HealthVault, you need to develop an application where it will act as a middle ware application.

HealthVault supports stand alone applications and web based applications(Online and Offline). SODA applications offer a way to connect rich client applications to HealthVault. You can download the .Net SDK, if you have not downloaded and try the samples present in the SDK. Once you have the sample applications up and running and have read through the documentation there, you should be able to determine how to proceed. Also, you can check our MSDN Developer Center and  Getting Started Guide. As per my knowledge, there is no information regarding the integration solution between Microsoft Navision and HealthVault.

-Mahesh
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Oddy71-- to add on to what Mahesh has said here:

HealthVault, whether the US or any other country, is application agnostic.  It provides a plain XML in/out interface with some additional certificate signing used for security and identity verification.  Any solution that works in the US will work in Europe or anywhere else.  There is no specific Sharepoint support built in to HealthVault, but, like any platform, it is not unsupported.  Any application or middle-tier layer that can send and receive XML, and can sign messages with certificates, can communicate with HealthVault equally easily.

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Hello Oddy,

From your previous reply, I could see that you hav worked on HVClientSample and could upload the data properly into HealthVault. The HVClientSample application is a rich client application. HealthVault also supports web application where you can find the samples like HelloWorld application in the downloaded SDK(Program Files\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\DotNet\WebSamples)

I could also see that you are facing some issues, can you please provide more details on that so that I can help you. If the issue you are facing is about not being able to derieve from the HealthServicePage, then we have a sample application where I can send you, if you could drop me an email at v-mahred@microsoft.com. Using the sample application, we can still go for an Online application and not needed to go for an Offline application.

-Mahesh
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:00 PM
  • I am contacting Oddy through email on this. I will update the thread once the query is clarified.
    -Mahesh
    Monday, August 9, 2010 4:52 PM
  • This issue is now resolved in the email communication. I have sent the code through email.
    -Mahesh
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:01 PM