Windows Recovery Environment: Your PC needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c

Question

• Hello. I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview, and downloaded the programs AnyDVD and CloneDVD. Then I turned off my computer and turned it back on again, and I got this: "Windows Recovery Environment Your PC needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c Your PC doesn't have the Windows Recovery Environment installed. You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer." After a couple of minutes or so it automatically restarts. I tried putting in the Windows 8 Developer Preview disc I had into the CD drive, that didn't do anything. I do not have the original Windows 7 installation disc... I don't know what else to do! Please help!
    Monday, January 2, 2012 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hey EthanTylerReilly,

I've split your response into its own thread so that we can focus on your problem. If you are reading this from your email, you can find your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums webpage, click Sign in in the upper right corner of the window, sign into your Windows Live account, and click My threads under your profile information on the right side of the page.

You may need to run an automatic repair after booting from your Windows Developer Preview installation disc. You can do this by:

• Place the DVD into the DVD drive (if it isn't already there)
    • Turn on your computer (if your computer is already on, restart your computer)
    • Press any key when you see the prompt to Press any key to boot from...
      Note: If you don't see a Press any key to... message, you may need to press a key to select which drive you want to boot from. This key is usually F10, but can be different depending on the computer. When you turn the computer on continually press F10 on your keyboard until you are presented with a list of drives to choose to boot from.
    • Once the Install Windows window appears, click Next
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left side of the window
    • Click Troubleshoot
    • Click Advanced options
    • Click Automatic repair
    • Click Windows Developer Preview

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hey EthanTylerReilly,

I've split your response into its own thread so that we can focus on your problem. If you are reading this from your email, you can find your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums webpage, click Sign in in the upper right corner of the window, sign into your Windows Live account, and click My threads under your profile information on the right side of the page.

You may need to run an automatic repair after booting from your Windows Developer Preview installation disc. You can do this by:

• Place the DVD into the DVD drive (if it isn't already there)
    • Turn on your computer (if your computer is already on, restart your computer)
    • Press any key when you see the prompt to Press any key to boot from...
      Note: If you don't see a Press any key to... message, you may need to press a key to select which drive you want to boot from. This key is usually F10, but can be different depending on the computer. When you turn the computer on continually press F10 on your keyboard until you are presented with a list of drives to choose to boot from.
    • Once the Install Windows window appears, click Next
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left side of the window
    • Click Troubleshoot
    • Click Advanced options
    • Click Automatic repair
    • Click Windows Developer Preview

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:24 PM
  • It worked. Thanks.

But now I'm having a new problem: parts of screens are completely white and will not load. Below are two major examples of what I'm talking about...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/whitenessexplained1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/whitenessexplained2.jpg/

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hey Ethan,

Let's try refreshing your pc to see if that returns you to a normal state. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the steps provided on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:29 AM
  • It works, at first ... with a few bugs. In entry fields my typing goes invisible and Windows Explorer goes partially black.

But then I restarted the computer and it goes back to the way it was.

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:35 PM