Impact of .Net 2.0 End of Extended Support RRS feed

• Question

• I see that Microsoft ended the Mainstream Support for .Net 2.0 sometime in 2011 and that the Extended Support is to end sometime in 2016.  I’m trying to understand the impact of the End of Extended Support event in 2016 and what is required to prepare for the event.

Our team has a number of applications (Web Forms, Win Forms and Web Services) that are currently compiled with the .Net 2.0 framework and running on 2008R2 servers and Window 7 desktops (32 bit and 64 bit).  I know that it’s a rather easy process to upgrade an application’s framework, but I rather leave them alone, especially, if there is no risk of leaving them.  On the other hand, if the .Net 2.0 framework will not work on the newer OS technologies or if there is a potential security issue, then I want to start migrating the applications within the year or so to be ready for the End of Extended Support event.

I would like to understand the “official” Microsoft’s stance so I can plan our resources accordingly.

Note:  Any new development is being done with the newest framework.  My questions are directed toward our legacy applications that are working fine as is.

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:57 PM

All replies

• .Net 3.5 Sp1 contains an upgraded version of .Net 2.0 bits (it is an incremental upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 then to 3.5). There are very few migration issues between 2.0 and 3.5 Sp1. If your program had no problem running on Windows 7/Server 2008 (which have .net 3.5 Sp1 built-in and do not allow you to downgrade the .net framework version), most likely you did not hit any breaking changes and your programs are compatible with .Net 3.5 Sp1. 

.Net 3.5 Sp1 does not have an independent life cycle, its end of support dates are the same with Windows 7, so if you tested your programs on Windows 7, you are fine until 2020.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:00 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I'm glad that the 2.0 applications will until 2020.  Would there be any secutiry risks of leaving the appications on 2.0?
    Monday, May 5, 2014 5:46 PM