none
[SOLVED] Cannot install .NET 4 on a Win XP Home SP3 machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having trouble trying to install .NET 4.0 on a Win XP Home machine. I've collected the logs with collect.exe and uploaded the vslogs.cab  

I got the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)" from Microsoft Download Center, and when I try to install it all I get is a decompression log in %temp% (see appended logs in vslogs.cab). If I unpack the installer and try to run setup from the unpacked kit, I get a Blocking Error that tells me that I "can't use use this setup program to install the .NET Framework". I've stopped the antivir and disabled the firewall, checked the partitions for errors with chkdsk /f, nothing helped. As you can see from the logs, it creates a folder with random name and exits.

My user has Administrator rights; I cannot "run as Administrator" the installer since it's an XP HOME and Administrator can't be "run as" (see Article ID 290109 ). I already have on my PC the other .NETs: 1.1; 2.0SP2; 3.0SP2; 3.5SP1. My computer has 3 partitions on the hd, C: being the WinXp partition, E: the DVD.

Can anyone help me?

• Edited by Radu_B Friday, December 24, 2010 6:14 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hello Andrew,
    Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I can't set permissions like that link you posted, because I'm using Windows XP Home , which doesn't seem to have that "Security" folder. This is what I get .

I did solved the problem myself, after looking at other people vslogs.cab and found a parameter to pass to setup.exe. It actually worked; I got .net4 installed now and I validated the install with the .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility.
    Here's what I did; might help others:

1) Unpack the standalone kit (with 3rd party software) to an empty folder;
    2) Hit Win+R to open Run menu, type cmd to get a command prompt;
    3) CD to where you extracted the kit;
    4) If you have an 32bit Windows, type the following command:
    Setup.exe /x86
     (that's what I did)
        For 64bit, use /x64

That's all I did, it "worked for me". It might not work for others, but it's worth a try.
    Thank you all for your help!
    • Marked as answer by Radu_B Friday, December 24, 2010 6:12 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 6:12 PM

All replies

• Here's an answer I found in another thread:

"Installation Blockers:

1. You cannot use this setup program to install the .NET Framework. For more information, see the Readme file.

[5/28/2009, 14:38:27] Global Block Checks: StopBlockers evaluated to true.
    [/snippet]

This block would appear if you manually extracted the installer package and attempted to run setup.exe directly.  The supported method for running .Net Framework Beta 1 would be to double click on the installer (dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe).  This will self-extract and pass the right parameters to setup.exe."

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Friday, December 24, 2010 8:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Radu_B Friday, December 24, 2010 7:05 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Yes, I know that I can't uncompress the installer and install .NET 4 from the extracted kit. It was already discussed on the forums and I tried it as a last resort measure before asking for help here.

My problem is related to installing the standalone kit dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe. As I said before, installing fails before unpacking the kit to a working directory. I've already attached my logs collected with collect.exe HERE (if you can't access it, please leave me a message).

The only direct log I get from this is the decompression log "dd_dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64_decompression_log.txt" in %temp%, I'll paste it below:

[12/21/2010, 18:41:57] === Logging started: 2010/12/21 18:41:57 ===
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Executable: c:\Documents and Settings\Radu\My Documents\Downloads\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe v4.0.30319.1
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] --- logging level: standard ---
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Successfully bound to the ClusApi.dll
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Error 0x800706d9: Failed to open the current cluster
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Cluster drive map: ''
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Considering drive: 'C:\'...
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Considering drive: 'D:\'...
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Considering drive: 'E:\'...
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Drive 'E:\' is rejected because of the unknown or unsuitable drive type
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Considering drive: 'V:\'...
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Drive 'D:\' has been selected as the largest fixed drive
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Error 0x80070032: Failed to decrypt the extract directory
    [12/21/2010, 18:41:57] Directory 'D:\6a75d7328614371ccb1998\' has been selected for file extraction

C: has my Win XP Home SP3 on it, D is the biggest drive, E is my DVD, V is the smallest. C and D are NTFS, V is FAT32. The directory made in D is always empty.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi Radu_B,

Thank you for your posting.

From your description, this issue might be caused by permissions.

Please check the following article about how to set permission on Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx

Then you can try to install it again.

Best Regards,
    Andrew Wu

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Hi Radu_B,

I'm writing to follow-up this post.

Is there any updates? Has this issue been solved?

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Hello Andrew,
    Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I can't set permissions like that link you posted, because I'm using Windows XP Home , which doesn't seem to have that "Security" folder. This is what I get .

I did solved the problem myself, after looking at other people vslogs.cab and found a parameter to pass to setup.exe. It actually worked; I got .net4 installed now and I validated the install with the .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility.
    Here's what I did; might help others:

1) Unpack the standalone kit (with 3rd party software) to an empty folder;
    2) Hit Win+R to open Run menu, type cmd to get a command prompt;
    3) CD to where you extracted the kit;
    4) If you have an 32bit Windows, type the following command:
    Setup.exe /x86
     (that's what I did)
        For 64bit, use /x64

That's all I did, it "worked for me". It might not work for others, but it's worth a try.
    Thank you all for your help!
    • Marked as answer by Radu_B Friday, December 24, 2010 6:12 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 6:12 PM
  • "The supported method for running .Net Framework Beta 1 would be to double click on the installer (dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe).  This will self-extract and pass the right parameters to setup.exe"

Following considerable problems from malware we have locked down our network to prevent the execution of files from temporary folders. As a consequence all update exe's will need to be unpacked and run from a trusted location.

EVERY application should provide the means for a standalone administrative install fully controlled with standard methods and switches.

Radu_B provided the solution himself with the undocumented /x86 switch. (We also used /passive which works fine). WHat I don't understand is why the setup can't determine the appropriate architecture to install!

Steve
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:18 AM