Help RRS feed

• Question

• User-1783380592 posted
    I need some help pointing me in right direction. Briefly, I have 15+ years CICS/COBOL programming experience. Due to a new project which was later canceled, I took two semesters worth of C++ and simply loved it. I have absolutely no experience with Web programming. Now, I am looking into .NET to further my education/marketability. I just purchased a VS .NET 2003 book and am looking at purchasing the software. If I understand this correctly, I must have XP Professional to run VS .NET (I currently only have home edition of XP). Being a novice to all of this and hopefully not offending any one with my basic lack of knowledge, my main questions are: 1. Is .NET technology the "wave of the future" and necessary skills for future programmers? 2. Is it worth the money to upgrade my PC and purchase VS .NET? Any advice to help me get out of the COBOL dark ages would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, December 15, 2003 1:58 PM

All replies

• User133347627 posted
    You need Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 You could use something like WebMatrix to get up to speed, or download a trial version of VS.NET to see if you like it. ASP.NET is a VERY good and is very marketable. Good luck!
    Monday, December 15, 2003 5:38 PM
  • User1029331022 posted
    You can put together COBOL & .Net Look http://quickstartcobol.eraserver.net/quickstartcobol/howto/
    Wednesday, January 28, 2004 3:55 AM