none
Export-spsite ! RRS feed

• Question

• Does Running export-spweb lock the site from users to make changes to it ?

In other word, while export is running, will it impact end users? 

IS it recommended to run export during business hour for a site which is almost 1 gb ?

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:53 PM

Answers

• I believe it only locks the target object (Web, List/Library).

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Friday, November 22, 2013 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:38 PM

All replies

• It's not recommended (at least i don't), it is going to put a lot of load on your servers as you're effectively backing up 1GB of content, more than that as it's got to do processing to allow the site to be re-created. I would expect at the least a slow down which users might notice and i'd hope the site would be read only for the duration.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Backup and Exporting a site causes the site to be in Read-Only mode and as Alex said the performance would be degraded for sure during the exporting.

#RoHsTr

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:21 AM
  • To elaborate a little further, as mentioned it will lock the site from users making changes.

And most definitely is not recommended to run the export during business hours, perhaps create a simple powershell script and set it as a scheduled task for 2am or something around that time.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:47 AM
  • How about doing the backup of site collection?

Does running backup-spsite will also lock the site during the backup process ?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:58 PM
  • To clarify, using the backup-spsite or using the Backup process in Central Admin will result in the same effect, locking the site to Read Only whilst it runs.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:00 PM
  • After a quick test on our test environment, During the export process I was still able to upload and delete documents in the library inside the site.

So when you refer to read only, is it refering to properties of site or the properties of objects in the site ?

If the site will be read only during export process, how users were able to upload and delete documents ?

May, i am misunderstanding the read only status of site.

Can someone explian me what exactly mean by read only status of site during export process ???

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:29 PM
  • When i ran backup-spsite for one of the site collection, it changed the site to lock state since i was not able to upload any document.

But why the site did not change into lock state when i ran export-spweb for one of the site collection.

I know that it was not the permission issue because for both of them i used site collection administrator to add documents during export and backup process !

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:02 PM
  • If you are using SQL Enterprise, Export-SPWeb -UseSqlSnapshot and Backup-SPSite -UseSqlSnapshot is a non-blocking operation.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Trevor,

But I didnt use -usesqlsnapshot parameter while running export-spweb.

IS that parameter used as default even if you dont specify in your command?

Also, we are using sql enterprise.

Thanks

Mit

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:53 PM
  • No, it is not there by default, it must be specified.  But you do need to use that parameter to make sure that users are not impacted.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:57 PM
  • So you did get when backing up a site collection but did not for the export-spweb?

The Export-SPweb or 'Save site as template' approach isn't really a backup process. SharePoint works out how to re-create your content and then exports that but it does that through feature stapling. Those features are used when you import the site to re-build it from scratch. Backup-SPSite is really a full backup of everything.

It's the difference between taking a build script for a server and a snapshot. One is a copy, the other should let you make a copy, as long as the scripts are perfect. Despite the seeming similarities they are actually very different under the hood.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Thanks Alex for your reply,

IS it safe to say that export-spweb does not lock the site?

When i was running the export-spweb without -sqlsnapshot paramter, it still didnt lock the site. USer were able to add/remove docs during export process?

SP-Admin_Mit

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Without using -UseSqlSnapshot, the site is locked during export or backup.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Trevor,

I was running export-spweb against a subsite and it was not site collection.

Does that make any difference wheather the site will be locked or not during export command ?

Mit

SP-Admin_Mit

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I believe it only locks the target object (Web, List/Library).

Trevor Seward, MCC

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Friday, November 22, 2013 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:38 PM