none
Mail to Network Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anybody please help?

I need to accomplish the following:

1. Mail send to: projects@domain.com with projectnumber and attachment.
    2. Extract message and attachment on arrival and place the data in a network folder, named: Projects.
    3. All projects must be placed in a subdirectory, with the name of the projectnumber.

Example:

New project email arrives with projectnumber 1000789. This mail includes the emailmessage and the attachment of the project.

The e-mail will be transferred to the network folder: //server/projects/1000789.

I know this is possible through the use of a VBS Script or the MS “CopyToFolder” VBA Macro. Only I’ve some problems to accomplish this.

Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2
    Exchange 2010 SP1

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:01 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:37 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you need a consultant.

If you have a specific issue or error that you are getting in your script then post the error.  If you do not know how to write a script then see the above links for tutorials and a repository of scripts.

You are asking for design and scripting.  You need to do this yourself and ask questions as needed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Let me rephrase my question...

I know how export the mail & attachments (Server-Side & Client-Side). This is well documented on the internet.

I may be not a "Scripting Expert", but I know the basics and understand different programmers languages.
    The reason of this is that I chose to support my customers from A-to-Z, when it comes to ICT (and not just programming/scripting).

My problem is to automate the process of the Projectnumbers (create new folder with the projectnumber).
    It seems that I can only name the folder as the subject of the e-mail.

Extracting the emails to the network folder works, only creating the right directories doesn't.

I will post the script as soon as possible.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Still far to vague.

You are referencing a project number that somehow relates to a folder name.  What is you question.  Is it something like, "How can I use the email subject to create a folder name?"

You are making statements about what you can't do without any description of the problem.

What is a project number?  Where does it come from?

To create a folder just use 'New-Item'.

If you are using VBA to do this then you are in the wrong forum.  Post in the Office VBA forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Ok, seems that I'm on the wrong Forum then, cause my start script concerns a VBA Macro.

And for the question, I thought that I was pretty clear on that.

1. New Project with number: 1000789 arrives in projects@domain.com
    2. This e-mail & attachment needs to be autosaved to a network folder, named: Projects, placed in a subdirectory, named:

If a project e-mail arrives, the projectnumber isn't included in the e-mail subject.
    The VBA Macro writes all mail to the folder Projects or creates subdirectories with the e-mail subject.

The only thing I want to accomplish is that the project e-mail will be placed in it's own folder, named by the projectnumber.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:33 PM
  • It is still vague.  YOU are receiving a mail message in a mailbox (in Outlook) and you want somehow to know that it is for a certain project number.  How do you know that.  Is it in the subject?  Is it in the body?  Is it in the senders email address?

You fail to describe most of the key issue.

If you are an Office programmer why are you asking this question in an Admin scripting forum?

If you are an Office programmer why are you asking how to get information about mail messages in Outlook?

Your question  is still too vague.  Where are you getting the project number from and how come you cannot create a folder?

I believe a moderator will move this thread to a VBA forum. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:39 PM
  • To clarify why your question is somewhat ambiguous:

You posted:
    1. New Project with number: 1000789 arrives in projects@domain.com
    2. This e-mail & attachment needs to be autosaved to a network folder, named: Projects, placed in a subdirectory,

#1 is odd.  A mailbox receives mail messages, tasks, calendar items.  Are you saying you are receiving a project object or an email about a project?

#2 "autosaved"  there is no such thing in Outlook.  You need to write a VBA macro to do this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Ok, my bad. I'm used to talking to IT Technichans and not to "Programmers".

If you read, you can find the logic...

You questions have allready been answered.

1. (New)Project arrives on the mailserver (we are using it server-side) in the mailbox: projects@domain.com.
    2. This e-mail doesn't have the projectnumber located in the subject, but somewhere in the body of the message itself.

As I allready said, I'm not a programmer but deliver full ICT Service to my customers.
    I don't post questions for fun on this forum.

Also if i recall, I told you that I have a VBA Macro and it works with writing the e-mail to the network folder and creating directories, but only with the subject name and not the Projectnumber, what I'm trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:06 PM
  • You are still about as vaguew andambiguous as yuo could possibly be.

YOu use a term"server sie" which is also ambiguous.  Are you saying this arrives i9n an Exchange mailbox?  How are you doing the so-called "autosave".  Are you using Excahnge Web Services?  Are you running an add-in to EWS or a remote task? 

Without some decent technical description of your environment no one is going to know where to start.  Perhaps it would be easir if you had one of your Admins or programmers explain to you how your environment is configured.

I don't see how you dan deliver IT services if you are not a technician.  YOu have to be trained in someway to do this.  What is your training or are you just an experienced user?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Maybe this is vague for you, but you are the first who clarify my question on this vague.

I told you I'm no Programmer but a "Service Engineer"/ "All-Round System Engineer".
    So, that makes me a Technician and never said I wasn't.
    So, I have some Programming/Scripting skills, but most for automating routine tasks and creating Linux scripts and Websites.

When the customer asked the question, I knew what he wanted to accomplish. The only thing I've done is rephrase the question a little bit, so the programmers could understand the question (my mistake).

What I understand from your reply's is that you do not read what is posted.

Yes, server-side (through EWS). Just with a VBA Macro (the same as client-side).

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:39 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand the requirements either. But in any case this is not a forum where you can post a list of requirements and then have others write the code for you. That would be equivalent to free consulting.

Bill

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Bill is correct.  You are trying to write a set of requirements but you are not providing a very clear description.

I recommend hiring a consultant to help you sort out the technology and its nomenclature.  You are referencing many mutually conflicting technologies and seem to be fishing for information.

EWS does no use VBA. Outlook and other client side tools use VBA.  For VBA you would post in the Office VBA developers forum.  For EWS you would post in the Exchange forum for Exchange 2010.

YOU made no mention of EWS before I noted it.  YOU made no mention of Exchange programming or a project server.  Your initial and subsequent posts indicate VBA which is an Outlook tool.  All of this leads me to believe you are fishing for an answer without much of an understanding of the technology.

Please look into contacting a consultant.  It will save you and your client a lot of wasted time and expense.

Sorry but I do not see any way to help you out with this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Yes, and it was a misstake of mine to post the question, without the script itself.
    I allready answer this, that I will post this ASAP (what is the next day).

What I don't understand is that there are only negative comments, simply because the user won't read what is posted.

He could wait for the script or post something, what will push me in the right direction.

I only asked for some help to accomplish this and not to post an complete script.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Note that VBA and PowerShell can be used to access EWS.  Both can easily read a mail body.  If you are trying to use VBA then you need to post in the VBA forum. If you want to use PowerShell then you can ask a question in this forum orin the Exchange EWS forum.

If you have a script then you need to post it.  You also need to clearly identify which platform you are using.  Talk to your system Admins to find out how your system is installed.  EWS is NOT installed by default.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Don't bother posting, cause you didn't intended to help.

The only thing you have done is slightly piss me off.

Again, you are answering the system Admin, so why should I contact myself?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:20 PM
  • I am sorry that youare taking this personally but there is no way I can see to get you to look at what you areasking.  It makes little sense.

Sorry - I did my best.  I use these technologies vcery frequently so I am not just being difficult.  It is clear you are not experienced in any of these technologies which may be why you believe you have provided good information.

You need to choose which technology you are going to use. If it is VBA then this thread should be moved to the Office VBA Developer Forum.   You will need to post your script.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Part of it I can blame myself, for not to wait until I could post the script, along with the thread.

Also I use VBS/Batch/Powershell on a frequently basis, but only to keep the ICT Infrastructure “fully” automated. I cannot write a complicated script, without the help of external sources, but I won’t apply changes or run scripts, without understanding the source and purpose (like many Engineers do).

And you say that it wasn’t intended personally, but then again you say that it is clearly that I’m not experienced with programming/scripting? Not only do you “undo” your sentence, but you also making a statement, based on nothing concrete.

Even if I had only my LPI Certification (have a lot more), I already are experienced with Scripting.

I even asked in the start of the thread for the VBS or VBA Macro, cause I know that MS has the ability for this with a VBA Macro and for the company I worked for in the past, did this sort of stuff through a VBS Script. I know when & what kind of Source to use and if I have problems, I don’t place it blindly on a forum but do some research first.

And I don’t know where it clearly states that I don’t have experiences on this, it seems that you still won’t read and just placing assumptions.

But I will post the question on the right forum, don’t know why I still responding on this one.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:51 PM
  • I still cannot make swense of your question.  Are you asking how to read teh body of a mail message with a macro or a script?

If you know scripting for OUtplook then just read the body.  YOu have to knowhow the project number is inserted.  Is it tagged?  DOes it have a label?  Is it the only number that ever appears in the body?

Without knowing something about what is in the message it is hard to suggest a method for extracting.  A technician should understand that.

If you posted a sample of th emai mesage that could be helpful along with your current script.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:20 PM