none
.NET Framework 2.0 issue on Windows 10 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have OS Windows 10 64bit - Technical Preview version. .NET Framework 4.0 is already installed on it. But when we try to run our application installer it gives error ".NET Framework 2.0 is not installed.".
    Our installer is working perfectly fine with Windows 7 and 8 both on 32 and 64 bit.
    So to troubleshoot this issue, we have referred registry and observed that in below registry keys v2.0 is not there.
    - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy"
    - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP"
    NOTE: We have another machine with same OS where above registry entries are present and our installer works fine.

It seems that .NET Framework get corrupted.
    To resolved this issue:
    - We tried to re-install .NET Framework 4.0 but it says ".NET Framework 4.0 is already installed.". So we are even not able to re-install it.
    - We are not able to find the option to uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 in Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Kindly respond how to resolve the issue so that .NET Framework 2.0 works properly.

Thanks,
    Ayaz Shaikh

Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hello MohammedAyaz Shaikh,

You misunderstand .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0 versions here. They are standalone editions so even you have .NET 4.0 installed you do not have .NET 2.0 installed.

Please see my Win 10 test machine:

As you can see, on Win 10 .NET 3.5 which include .NET 2.0 is not by default enabled. You have to enable this feature so that your software can work.

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 24, 2015 5:15 AM
  • As you are referring to a Windows version that has not yet been released (RTM), you need to report the issue via the Windows 10 Technical Preview Windows Feedback app.

That said, my experience here with programs that need .NET 3.5 (includes 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5) is that there no issues (for me, at least).

IIRC, the first time I installed a program that needed .NET 3.5 on Win 10 Tech Preview, I was prompted to download and install .NET 3.5. Once installed, it works correctly. This process is the same as for Windows 8/8.1, so this article may help:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:47 PM

All replies

• As you are referring to a Windows version that has not yet been released (RTM), you need to report the issue via the Windows 10 Technical Preview Windows Feedback app.

That said, my experience here with programs that need .NET 3.5 (includes 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5) is that there no issues (for me, at least).

IIRC, the first time I installed a program that needed .NET 3.5 on Win 10 Tech Preview, I was prompted to download and install .NET 3.5. Once installed, it works correctly. This process is the same as for Windows 8/8.1, so this article may help:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Hello MohammedAyaz Shaikh,

You misunderstand .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0 versions here. They are standalone editions so even you have .NET 4.0 installed you do not have .NET 2.0 installed.

Please see my Win 10 test machine:

As you can see, on Win 10 .NET 3.5 which include .NET 2.0 is not by default enabled. You have to enable this feature so that your software can work.

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 24, 2015 5:15 AM
  • Thx work ^_^
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Hi I have Windows 10 Enterprise & can't get Dot Net 3 to install, it wants to download from Internet & comes with error 0x800F081F ,but i am connected to the internet.

Tried the manual way also can't install  "Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:J:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess"

Can anyone assist

Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:24 AM
  • I have the same trouble. Can't find the source.

Anyone watching this thread?

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:25 PM
  • The same situation is on my notebook. Any help?
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Hello STO and Igor.

You are posting to an almost 1 year old closed thread. Further, when you say "same situation", what situation are you talking about?

The OP was confused about the association (or lack thereof) between .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0. Then Mothie posted about a different problem, a downloading error.

To reach the widest audience, and get the best help, I suggest that you each start new threads and describe you issue(s) in detail.

Thanks for your understanding.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:46 PM
  • I went to windows features and turned on the net framework.  When I tried to access the Lexmark printer functions, I still get the message that I need Network Frame 2.0.  So where do I go from here?
    Monday, May 30, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hello, reenie beanie.

You are posting to an over 1 year old closed thread. It would be far better for you to create a new thread that will appear at the head of the list as unanswered.

You don't mention the age or model of your Lexmark printer, but as a first step, please contact Lexmark support for updated drivers and software that is certified for Windows 10:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=productSelection&channel=supportAndDownloads&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US

You should also use the .NET Framework verification tool ensure that .NET 2.0 is correctly installed on your system:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/

Run the tool with .NET 2.0 selected, then post the LAST 20 lines of the tool log here.

Monday, May 30, 2016 3:12 PM
  • thank you for this information,
    after enabling .NET 3.5, it tells me that some files are needed to be installed, however it gives me that downloading required files is in progress but it doesn't progress. 
    How can i solve this problem,
    thank you
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Also receiving Error code 0x800F081F "Windows couldn't find required files to complete the requested change.  Make sure you're connected to the internet, and try again." When attempting to enable .NET 3.5/2.0 from "Turn features on or off."

Win 10 64-bit.

Friday, July 29, 2016 1:14 PM
  • same problem, starts to download and then nothing happens until eventually same error code as post below, please help
    • Edited by KStratMD Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:05 PM
  • Go to your services>windows update>Start

it will solve your problem :).

Saturday, August 27, 2016 5:52 AM
  • It doesn't solve the problem at all. I have Windows Update service enabled and running, yet when I try to enable the .NET 3.5 crapware it tells me error code 0x800F081F. I had this problem with Windows 10 before I upgraded to this extra super latest release, and I have it after the upgrade. I was able to activate the .NET 4.6 though. Let me tell you something dear Micro$oft; if you insist to make .NET part of the system, then integrate it properly. What good is an OS extension that doesn't work? Thank you very much. And please fix the start menu already.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:05 PM
  • I had the same issue and I finally managed to solve the problem. 

Here are the steps I followed. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782

The key is to configure the Group policy setting as described in Method 2. After that, open a console as administrator and run the comand  gpupdate /force . Then try to install .Net framework again, and that's all.

Hope it helps

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:17 AM
  • I mounted windows 10 iso and ran

"Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess"

E being ISO location. 

• Proposed as answer by Jaych Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:33 PM
  • This solution worked like a charm.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:54 PM
  • Something so simple as enabling 2.0 to get two Microsoft products to work together... really guys? I almost went grey overnight trying to figure out why my Win 10 64 bit laptop would run SyncToy but not my Win 10 64 bit desktop. This is not a users job to try figure out, or at least splash it across your front page so that we may find this really important piece of information.

Synctoy or ANY software requiring 2.0 should at least have the ability to enable and download .Net 2.0 without telling us that we need some confusing thing called .Net framework 2.0 but we have a newer version at 4.0, think of how that would look to a user, really confusing...

• Edited by Chris Kva Monday, April 24, 2017 1:42 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 1:40 PM
  • I mounted windows 10 iso and ran

"Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess"

E being ISO location. 

My issue was within Crystal Reports 2011. I needed to create a connection using ADO.NET (XML) as the datasource. However, ADO.NET(XML) was not listed! After troubleshooting other options I discovered .NET 2.0 needed to be enabled for ADO.NET(XML) to appear. Using the control panel > Enable features method did not work since I am part of a domain with strictly managed group policies. Inserting a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 ISO I was able to run the above command. I am not able to select ADO.NET(XML) as a data source from Crystal Reports 2011!
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:04 PM