Package Config files...how to? RRS feed

• Question

• What I'm trying to accomplish is

1. Have a config file that stores all the DB conn necessary to run the package.

2. Have the same config file store data needed for package (i.e. list of items to iterate thru).

So I have an environment variable that points to the config file. Within the package I set the Package configuration and use the indirect xml config file type and point it to the environment variable. All good so far.

Problem is within the package I want to have a for each loop, loop thru a list that is gathered from the config file. The list is stored in xml format (nodes) I planned on using the xpath within the for each loop task. I problem I'm having it gettting to the config file. I thought I could pick Varaible for DocumentSourceType but don't see where I can get package config file there. So not sure how to get to the xml nodes that are located in that config file. I like to keep one file that way is easier to keep track off and maintain. So maybe I can set a package variable that points to the config file and within the config file the package variable can be set this way the package itself never needs to be modified from environment to environment. IS this possible? is there a better solution/work aorund? Can I actually get to the xml data in the config file within that for each loop task and I just don't know how?

thanks

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• You wil need to use 2 separate files for this.

Package configuration XML files have a specific schema that SSIS knows how to load and apply to the package properties.

In your package have a connection manage pointing to the XML file you wish to iterate over. If you want then you can set the location of this file (ConnectionString property) via the package configuration file.

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:54 PM

All replies

• You wil need to use 2 separate files for this.

Package configuration XML files have a specific schema that SSIS knows how to load and apply to the package properties.

In your package have a connection manage pointing to the XML file you wish to iterate over. If you want then you can set the location of this file (ConnectionString property) via the package configuration file.

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Ok, that is what I was thinking I just thought I could get away from using multiple files nad use only one.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:49 PM