Wrap text in a tile RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the TileTemplateType.TileWideSmallImageAndText02.  I have some text that may or may not need to wrap onto a second line. How can I find out the available width for my text so that I can create a second line, if required?

...Stefan

Monday, April 30, 2012 9:35 PM

Answers

• It seems like you're making this more difficult than it needs to be - why don't you use one of the templates that supports wrapping? 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator

• Marked as answer by StefanOlson Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• It seems like you're making this more difficult than it needs to be - why don't you use one of the templates that supports wrapping? 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator

• Marked as answer by StefanOlson Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:51 PM
  • You are right!  I think I got overwhelmed by too many templates!

I do find templates are quite frustrating, in that on the phone that I can generate an image with exactly the content that I want for the tile.  The disadvantage of that is that generating the tile has to be done on the UI thread, so interrupts the application when you're updating the tile. Templates are definitely an improvement in that regard. However, with the available templates there is no way that I can fit all the information I need into a square template (an image and text on a single screen). The availability of wide templates means that is not really an issue on the PC, with their higher resolution screens, although I have to use a notification queue with three items, whereas if I had a template that did what I wanted I would I need only two in the queue.

I hope the next release will provide for customising of the templates.

...Stefan

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:24 PM