SSMA 7.5 Installation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get SSMA working with SQL Server 2016 Express.
    I have wasted more than a day trying to install SSMA 7.5 (The Access to SQL Server tool) 
    I keep getting a vaguely worded error about Office 365 incompatibility and similar errors about "click to run " & 32 bit vs 64 bit incompatibility.

The problems seem to be related to incompatibility between Access 2016 runtime and Office 365 "Click to Run"(Whatever that is!) 

The errors are preventing me from installing Access 2016 runtime which seems to be a pre-requisite for SSMA 7.5. 

Does anyone know what configuration and procedure I need to be able to install SSMA 7.5?

My current configuration:
    Office 365 personal
    Windows 10 Pro
    SQL Server 2016 Express. 

I don't mind re-installing everything and/or using a different version of Office 365 but I need to start with a reliable procedure so that my efforts will not be wasted - again.
    Can someone please let me know what configuration I need to be able to install SSMA 7.5.

Ken Evans

Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

>>However, I can't find the msi versions online.

As far as I can tell, msi installers is only available for volume licensing customers, but I’d suggest you verify it with Office 365 support.

>>Which makes me wonder what configuration Microsoft used to test SSMA 7.5?

Frankly I don’t have and issue with it, and I’m also using the click-to-run installer downloaded from Office.com. This probably because I’m using a Office 365 Enterprise subscription but I’d suggest you talk with Office 365 support for better response.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ken Evans Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:37 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Here's what i'm using. 专业增强版 means ProPlus in Chinese.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ken Evans Sunday, September 3, 2017 4:47 PM
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken Evans,

SSMA v7.5 does not provide 32-bit version anymore, only 64-bit version is available now. So you have to install Access runtime 64-bit. But to install Access runtime 64-bit, you can’t have any 32-bit Office component on your computer, your Office has to be 64-bit otherwise the installation will fail. Besides, what exact error message did you see?

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 28, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Hi Hannah,

Yes I have read many of the error messages and I "Get it" that I can't have 32 bit Office but I don't know how to get there!

I have uninstalled what I can see as 32 bit programs but I keep getting errors.
    e.g. Lots of opaque stuff about "Click-to-run" which does not mean a thing to me.

That's why I asked for you folks to specify a configuration that will work.

For example, which versions of Office 365 will not work with SSMA 7.5?
    I may be wrong but my guess is that Office 365 Personal Edition is causing the problem.

So please will you specify a configuration that will work.

Thanks

Ken

Ken Evans

• Edited by Ken Evans Monday, August 28, 2017 6:09 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 6:08 PM
  • Hi Hannah,

Just wasted another two hours!
    I uninstalled Office 365 32 bit and re-installed Office 365 64 bit.

But when I try to install SSMA 7.5 I still get the same error:

The Access 2016 runtime fails to install with the following error message:
    ------------------------------
    We're sorry Microsoft Office Installer encountered a problem because you have these Click-to-Run installer based Office programs installed on your computer:
    Microsoft Office 365 - en-us

Windows Installer and Click-to-Run editions of Office Programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time.

Please try installing the Click-to-Run edition of Office instead, or uninstall your other Click-to-Run based Office programs and try this installation again.

-------------------     This message is self-contradictory! Anyway, how do I know which of my Office programs are "Click-to-Run"?

Ken Evans

• Edited by Ken Evans Monday, August 28, 2017 9:07 PM typo
    Monday, August 28, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Hi Ken Evans,

>> This message is self-contradictory! Anyway, how do I know which of my Office programs are "Click-to-Run"?

Since this issue is more about office, I would recommend you post it in Microsoft Office forum for better response.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 4:31 AM
  • Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the link to the Office forum, but:
    * That forum does not cover Office 2016/365

* I can't see an "ask a question" button.

* My problem is about SSMA 7.5

After more research, it seems that I may have to install the Office 2016 msi version - but - I can't find a download link to try that out. 

Can you please tell me which part of Microsoft is responsible for SSMA 7.5? 
    Do they have a Forum?

Ken Evans

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Hi Ken Evans,

>> My problem is about SSMA 7.5

SSMA 7.5 requires Access runtime(64bit), but the installation of Access runtime was blocked by your existing Office software. I’m not quite sure about the error, but it seems you might get a better response from Office 365 community.

I found this link that points to Office 365 community on Office.com, hope that helps.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:23 AM
  • Thanks for the link. I see that "my problem" was reported as long ago as  December 2015!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-access/ms-access-2016-runtime-install/64dc69bd-c9ee-4568-8c71-ecce23d5be21/?auth=1

However, the information there is not sufficiently precise to be able to take action.
    For example: "One more major issue is that a user of Office365 can not install Access 2016 Runtime, so you're stuck buying Office365 with full Access included." 

Looking more closely, the problem seems to be caused by "planned" incompatibility between Office Click-to-Run software (Office 365 and Office 2016) and the "Not-Click-To-Run" versions which I infer are the msi versions.

However, I can't find the msi versions online.

Which makes me wonder what configuration Microsoft used to test SSMA 7.5?
    It was tested before release wasn't it?.

Any clues? 

Ken Evans

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Hi Ken,

>>However, I can't find the msi versions online.

As far as I can tell, msi installers is only available for volume licensing customers, but I’d suggest you verify it with Office 365 support.

>>Which makes me wonder what configuration Microsoft used to test SSMA 7.5?

Frankly I don’t have and issue with it, and I’m also using the click-to-run installer downloaded from Office.com. This probably because I’m using a Office 365 Enterprise subscription but I’d suggest you talk with Office 365 support for better response.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ken Evans Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:37 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi Lin,

Thanks for the information about the Volume Licensing msi option. 

Yesterday, the Office 365 support folks gave me a link from which they said I could download the Office 2016 msi.
    The 2.7GB download started but (after quite a while) I got a message "Office 2016 could not be downloaded" and I have not yet had the time to get back to them.

Please clarify:
    Are you using SSMA 7.5?

Are you using the Access 2016 64 bit runtime?

Thanks

Ken

Ken Evans

• Edited by Ken Evans Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:48 PM typo
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Hi Ken,

>>Are you using SSMA 7.5?
    >>Are you using the Access 2016 64 bit runtime?

Sure. I’m using SSMA 7.5/Access 2016 runtime/Office 365 ProPlus and it's working without issue.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ken Evans Friday, September 1, 2017 7:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken Evans Monday, September 4, 2017 6:50 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hi Lin,

Before I spend my money, please can I clarify the "Office 365 ProPlus" part.

Previously, I have seen error messages to the effect that Access 2016 runtime will not work with Office 365 click-to run-versions.  For example see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-installed-with-Click-to-Run-and-Windows-Installer-on-same-computer-isn-t-supported-30775ef4-fa77-4f47-98fb-c5826a6926cd?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Which led me to the conclusion that I needed an msi version of Office 365/2016.
    Then I found out that the msi versions are only available via a volume licensing agreement.

However, I see that Office 365 ProPlus is shown as click-to-run software.
    And: Office 2016 Professional Plus is shown as an msi version (volume licensing)

So, before I spend my money, I just want to make sure that:

a) when you said "Office 365 ProPlus" that is exactly what you meant
    and

b) that you are using SSMA 7.7/Access 2016 runtime with a click-to-run version of Office.

Thanks a lot
    Ken

Ken Evans

Saturday, September 2, 2017 11:46 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Here's what i'm using. 专业增强版 means ProPlus in Chinese.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ken Evans Sunday, September 3, 2017 4:47 PM
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Thanks Lin.

I'll try out Office 365 ProPlus (In English :-)

Ken 

Ken Evans

Sunday, September 3, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Well - dead end!

I prepared a clean machine and installed Windows 10 pro.

Then I installed Office 365 ProPlus

Then I ran the SSMA 7.5 installer - which asked me to install Access 2016 runtime.

Then I got the same error message as usual.

What a huge muddle!

Ken

Ken Evans

Sunday, September 3, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Hello Ken,

Is the information we published here not helpful: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/datamigration/2016/12/16/access-connectivity-components-for-ssma/ ?

Can you please take a look and let us know what exactly didn't work for you, so that we can update it with the relevant info?

Thanks,
    Alex.

Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:11 PM
  • Hi Alex,

No - I don't find your blog to be helpful at all.

What I'm looking for is a  1. 2.3.... approach to getting SSMA working. Not a list of "If this doesn't work then try this" so-called "help".

So far, I have wasted days of my time and about £300 on new hardware to set up a "clean" Windows 10 Pro installation.

Now I'm faced with uninstalling Office 365 ProPlus and all of its left-overs.

SSMA used to work - now the installation process is a complete mess!

It seems to me that the evidence shows that Access 2016 runtime will not work with Click-to-run Office 365.

What's needed is a specification of the configuration under which Access 2016 runtime will work.

Ken Evans

• Edited by Ken Evans Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:43 AM clean up text
    Monday, September 4, 2017 5:56 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Sincere apologies for the delay and the frustration you had to deal with. You can download SSMA for Access 7.3 from http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/D/DBDECC99-4DCA-4674-983A-CC1ABABA2B37/SSMA for Access.7.3.0.msi. This has the 32 bit version.

regards
    Shamik

Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:36 AM