[WP8.1][VB]Windows Phone 8.1 FTP Client for VB

Question

• Can any one please help me with uploading/downloading files from Windows Phone 8.1 using VB. I've seen a few examples out there in C# but not having any luck converting those projects. I'm able to connect to the FTP server, login to the FTP server and change the working directory. Having trouble uploading and downloading files.

I'm using ConnectAsync (from variable dimmed as StreamSocket) to establish the connection then using OutputStream.WriteAsync to issue the commands.

How do I upload/download files from this point? Is there a better way to make a connection to an FTP server?

Can you please provide some sample lines of code in VB?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi mircosolutions,

>>How do I upload/download files from this point? Is there a better way to make a connection to an FTP server?

For upload you will need to connect to the server with the HttpClient or WebRequest class and then send it the FTP commands directly.

The Download FTP file in Windows Store app sample demonstrates how to send FTP commands for downloading. Uploading will be similar by using "STOR" command.

By the way, you can use the BackgroundTransfer API to download from an FTP site. See the Background Transfer sample: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Background-Transfer-Sample-d7833f61

>>Can you please provide some sample lines of code in VB?

There are a lot of online tool can help you to convert C# code to Vb.net code, if you have difficult, you can post the detailed code snippets at here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, however, the windows store app doesn't work. I tried to download several files and all were either corrupt or zero bytes. The background transfer sample is not FTP.

Does anyone have concrete, known working VB FTP examples for Windows Phone 8.1?

Thanks

Hi mircosolutions,

>>however, the windows store app doesn't work. I tried to download several files and all were either corrupt or zero bytes

I've tested this sample on my Win8.1 machine, it worked well, the file can be downloaded correctly, for your issue, maybe you have no permission to download this file, this is controlled by FTP administrator.

>>Does anyone have concrete, known working VB FTP examples for Windows Phone 8.1?

You can search for these keywords: "WINRT VB.net FTP" using your favorite search engine and find some samples.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 15, 2015 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi mircosolutions,

>>How do I upload/download files from this point? Is there a better way to make a connection to an FTP server?

For upload you will need to connect to the server with the HttpClient or WebRequest class and then send it the FTP commands directly.

The Download FTP file in Windows Store app sample demonstrates how to send FTP commands for downloading. Uploading will be similar by using "STOR" command.

By the way, you can use the BackgroundTransfer API to download from an FTP site. See the Background Transfer sample: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Background-Transfer-Sample-d7833f61

>>Can you please provide some sample lines of code in VB?

There are a lot of online tool can help you to convert C# code to Vb.net code, if you have difficult, you can post the detailed code snippets at here.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, however, the windows store app doesn't work. I tried to download several files and all were either corrupt or zero bytes. The background transfer sample is not FTP.

Thanks

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00 AM

Thanks

Hi mircosolutions,

>>however, the windows store app doesn't work. I tried to download several files and all were either corrupt or zero bytes

I've tested this sample on my Win8.1 machine, it worked well, the file can be downloaded correctly, for your issue, maybe you have no permission to download this file, this is controlled by FTP administrator.

>>Does anyone have concrete, known working VB FTP examples for Windows Phone 8.1?

You can search for these keywords: "WINRT VB.net FTP" using your favorite search engine and find some samples.

Friday, May 15, 2015 12:47 PM