none
Connect to SQL Server database

Question

• HI

Just installed VS 2017- in previous versions I connected to SQLServer DB using the "Server Solution" Section.

Don't see this in new version- only appear to have two items with solution

Solution explorer- which doesn't seem to have anything other than a show properties button and

Team Explorer- not sure what this is for but seems to be a way of sharing stuff in development.

I usually use VS to help design queries as the GUI is easier to use (In previous version)

How do I connect to a SQL DB to create views etc?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

David

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:48 PM

Answers

• Fletch- Thanks for your help

This article sorted out the last bit for me

http://www.mssqlinsider.com/2014/05/enable-query-designer-sql-server-visual-studio/

Happy bunny now!

D

• Marked as answer by David_1234 Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:01 PM
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Please go to View you will see this:

click the Server Explorer it'll show up:

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Thanks for reply- what I see is very different- in colour & content- did I download something wrong?

It says Visual Studio 2017 on top!

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi David, 

I could not read the content on your image, would you mind sharing a screenshot with a higher pixel. 

P.S. the color is based on your color theme of VS, Tools -> options-> environment -> general

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:50 AM
  • it only gives the two choices as mentioned in initial mail---help!

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Hi David, 

Please check Other Windows content. And let me know if server explorer is there.  

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:28 AM
  • No - not there! would send a photo but last one took a good while to upload!
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:31 AM
  • Hi David,

Did you Install SQL Server Data Tools ?

if not please download and install it.

The latest version one is here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-release-candidate

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:42 AM
  • OK Downloaded that- looks like it fully downloaded VS 2015

While I now can see server explorer, I now can't create a query like I would usually.

I don't seem to be able to drag tables from the SQL DB that I see in Server explorer- where I can then create relationships.

Normally like in Mgt Studio I would see 3 section

Top which image of various tables and connections

Middle with SQL code

Bottom with result of query when you run it-

any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks so far

D

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi David, 

Your description makes me think of LINQ to SQL, you could refer to this page: 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384429.aspx

May I ask what kind of application you are going to develop? Then I could direct a specific forum, in order to help you get a professional answer, if you don't mind of course.

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:39 PM
  • All I'm looking to do is run some queries on data in SQL server.

Doing things like, data  Update, Insert data, or a pivot query I generally find easier to do in VS- then I might use that code when creating a procedure in Mgt Studio.

I'm not building any front end stuff just data manipulation- but when I click on views / new view I don't see any of the tables just a bit of Sql code.

Picture is what I normally see!

Thanks again

D

• Edited by David_1234 Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:14 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:13 PM
  • It looks like the query designer tool bar isn't activating (Lighting up) do you need to do something specific to be able to select from it?

Thanks again for help

D

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Fletch- Thanks for your help

This article sorted out the last bit for me

http://www.mssqlinsider.com/2014/05/enable-query-designer-sql-server-visual-studio/

Happy bunny now!

D

• Marked as answer by David_1234 Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:01 PM
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:01 PM
  • Hi David,

That's great! Thank you for sharing the solution.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:37 AM