none
Please help me! Mircosoft Won't!!! VSS and VS version 6 Enterprise Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Please Help

I have lost (in trans-Atlantic shipping) my MSDN CD Disks from Jan 2001. I am concerned to replace the disks for VSS version 6 and Visual Studio version 6 Enterprise Edition. Unfortunately Microsoft is unable / unwilling to help me, claiming that they only keep copies for the last 3 months.

So MSDN subscribers back up those disk least you should lose yours.

If anyone out there could help I would be very grateful and of course pay for the cost of duplicating and posting the CD's

My MSDN license was valid until March 2001. Ideally the disks from Jan 2001 but because of Microsoft's attitude if you have later disks I accept those.

Thank you

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:43 AM

Answers

• Neil:

Actually Microsoft CANNOT legally provide you with access to this software (Visual Studio 6 and several others), as a result of the Java Settlement.

This product has been removed from MSDN and TechNet Subscriber Downloads due to the terms of Java-related settlements Microsoft made with Sun Microsystems. This product is no longer available from Microsoft in any form, but may be available through third-party resellers or Web sites.

VSS 6.0d is still available if you have an active subscription that entitles you to that software.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:31 PM

All replies

• Backing up your CDs is a good advice (if the license permits creating copies for archival purposes).

But I hope you're not serious in asking someone else to copy the CDs for you. They don't have a way to verify what you're saying is true (that you really have/had a license), so they would pirate software by creating the copies and sending them to you... Even if they could verify that you have a license, I'm not sure if the EULA allows them to create the copies... I'm not a lawyer so this is just my 2c.

If you want to use pirated software (instead of asking others to pirate it for you) I'm sure you'll find the software for download on w.ar.ez sites...

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear what was the proposed solution from the MS customer's support. They should be the only ones able to verify you had indeed a license as you claim and send replacement CDs.

Alin

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Neil:

Actually Microsoft CANNOT legally provide you with access to this software (Visual Studio 6 and several others), as a result of the Java Settlement.

This product has been removed from MSDN and TechNet Subscriber Downloads due to the terms of Java-related settlements Microsoft made with Sun Microsystems. This product is no longer available from Microsoft in any form, but may be available through third-party resellers or Web sites.

VSS 6.0d is still available if you have an active subscription that entitles you to that software.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:31 PM