Another of my EW Connect submissions was resolved. RRS feed

• General discussion

• The following feedback item you submitted at Microsoft Connect has been updated: Product/Technology - Expression Studio Feedback ID – 609633 Feedback Title – Bookmarks made in EW 4 are lost when the file is closed. The following fields or values changed: Field "Status" changed from "Closed" to "Resolved".

Field "Resolution" changed from "Not Set" to "Won't Fix".

I'm now 0/3 on Microsoft Connect.

How did it come to be that "Resolved" = "Won't Fix"?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:13 AM

All replies

• This bugs me too. I've had a lot like this and there's no indication that they've been moved forward as items to fix on the next version. It reads as 'We'll never fix'.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Well, "resolution" dosn't mean "resolved it in the way you wanted." It means it was looked at, and a decision made about the issue.  "Fix it," "can't reproduce," "not serious enough to put resources on," etc. are all resolutions. <shrug>
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:53 PM
  • I agree the phrasing is bad. It means that in Microsoft's view the "issue" is resolved because they looked at it and made a decision that the problem was not one they were going to spend resources on fixing either because it affects too few people, the man hour cost of fixing it isn't worth the gain or the folkds at Microsoft can't reproduce the issue though usually it will say "unable to reproduce" in their remarkds but who knows.

Sometimes connect bugs are closed when they don't understand or can't trigger the issue.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Well, "resolution" doesn't mean "resolved it in the way you wanted." It means it was looked at, and a decision made about the issue.  "Fix it," "can't reproduce," "not serious enough to put resources on," etc. are all resolutions. <shrug>

They said:  The following fields or values changed: Field "Status" changed from "Closed" to "Resolved".

That to my mind says that the issue is "resolved".  How can they say it is resolved when nothing has changed? Resolved implies change. I think they are posturing for some management report that has a column for "number of issues resolved". With this kind of accounting the US Government would have a balanced budget.

All of my connect issues are easily reproduced. That was never disputted.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:27 PM
  • FWIW, several of my bugs were "resolved" the same way.
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Clearly a serious case of "Resolved Fraud".
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:46 PM
  • I did not say your issues were not reproduced.  I listed that as one of the possible outcomes of a report on Connect.

Regardless, complaining here does nothing.  No one here has anything to do with how Connect operates.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:47 PM
  • I did not say your issues were not reproduced.  I listed that as one of the possible outcomes of a report on Connect.

Regardless, complaining here does nothing.  No one here has anything to do with how Connect operates.

The issue is not how connect operates. It has to do with how the developers deal with their customer's feedback. This WONT-FIX thing is a slap in the face and it make me less interested in giving them any feed back at all.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:52 PM
  • FWIW, that point has been made to MS devs on more than one occasion and not just regarding EW.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:17 PM
  • My last response stands.

If you don't want to give feedback via Connect, you are in no way obliged to do so.  If you don't like how Connect handles your feedback (however yiou want to describe that, if you don't like my term), again, we don't have anything to do with that.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:18 PM
  • If you don't want to give feedback via Connect, you are in no way obliged to do so.

I know I'm not "obligated" but somehow I view it as civic duty to help the product improve.

If you don't like how Connect handles your feedback (however yiou want to describe that, if you don't like my term)

The "Connect" gets me connected just fine. What I don't like is how the developers score their responses. "Won't Fix" is not "Resolved" in anyone's book. They are obviously coloring the reality for upper management.

we don't have anything to do with that.

Duh

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:08 AM
  • HEY I JUST GOT ANOTHER EMAIL FROM MS_CONNECT:

The following feedback item you submitted at Microsoft Connect has been updated: Product/Technology - Expression Studio Feedback ID – 609633 Feedback Title – Bookmarks made in EW 4 are lost when the file is closed. The following fields or values changed: Field "Resolution" changed from "Won't Fix" to "Deferred".

So, they do read these boards after all. I feel better already. Thanks. Oh, but what is the Status Field? Is that still set to "Resolved"?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Talk to them.  Email them back.  Comment on your feedbacks.  "Duh" - complain to those who can do something.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:27 AM
  • "Well it just goes to show you, it's always something, you either got a toenail in your hamburger or toilet paper clinging to your shoe."
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:45 AM