none
API Driving Route returns different route compared to manual one from UI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am making a driving route request as below from '20 Burkitt St Mango Hill Qld' to 'Ric's Bar 321 Brunswick St Fortitude Valley Qld'. When using the Bing Maps web interface the route returned is as expected

However, when using the REST API and passing in the address, it returns the route exactly similar to if I was to search on UI without 'Ric's Bar' in the address. The route crosses the bridge and takes a U-turn to come back as shown in the below segment

https://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Routes/Driving?&wp.0=20%20Burkitt%20St%20Mango%20Hill%20Qld&wp.1=321%20Brunswick%20St%20Fortitude%20Valley%20Qld&optmz=TimeWithTraffic&du=kilometer&ra=RoutePath&dt=04/26/2018%2012:01:50&key=<APIKEY>&clientApi=CSToolkit

Also noticed that this result is exactly same as the request without 'Ric's Bar' as part of the address.

https://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Routes/Driving?&wp.0=20%20Burkitt%20St%20Mango%20Hill%20Qld&wp.1=321%20Brunswick%20St%20Fortitude%20Valley%20Qld&optmz=TimeWithTraffic&du=kilometer&ra=RoutePath&dt=04/26/2018%2012:01:50&key=<APIKEY>&clientApi=CSToolkit

From the results looks like the API is ignoring the place name 'Ric's bar' in the API request? Are there any additional parameters that I need to be passing to get the correct route or anything else I am missing here?

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your query. This would be helpful for others facing the same kind of problem

Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Rahul,

I have an update. It appears the routing coordinates for "321 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006, Australia" is causing a bad route. I'll have this looked into and fixed.

Cheers,

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Rahul,

At first glance it appears that the route result for '20 Burkitt St Mango Hill Qld' to 'Ric's Bar 321 Brunswick St Fortitude Valley Qld' using the Bing Maps web interface the route returned is incorrect. The route is passing through a tunnel which suddenly ends where the destination is. It appears the tunnel is underground and the destination is at the surface.

The route being returned by our REST API would makes sense since the route shows directions to exit the tunnel and directs back towards the destination on surface road. 

The routes API does not use Business locations so this looks to be an error on the Bing Maps Consumer website. You can file a report by clicking the more options button (the three dots) in the directions UI box. 

If you happen to have a Routes REST query that reproduces the route that ends inside the tunnel please provide it as that is something we can work to resolve.

Cheers!

Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Awesome thanks John for confirming. I will file an issue on the site to get this fixed. 

Is this also a problem with the location information of Ric's bar in particular. There is no reason for the route to go across the tunnel and come back. Look at the directions to a nearby place on bing. Also here is the route for the same destination from Google Maps

Is the problem here only that the Consumer website is showing a wrong route? 

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your query. This would be helpful for others facing the same kind of problem

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:54 AM

• If you use the REST Locations API to determine the coordinates of Ric's Bar you are returned -27.45848153.03429

Bing Maps consumer routes correctly when setting coordinates as destination: Bing Maps

It appears that Routes API is omitting something, causing a route issue. I'll check in with the routes team for feedback. 

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

I have an update. It appears the routing coordinates for "321 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006, Australia" is causing a bad route. I'll have this looked into and fixed.

Cheers,

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:31 PM
  • Awesome, Thanks John!

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:56 PM