none
Adding a filter driver to ATAPORT.sys RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to add a filter driver to ataport.sys .

I wonder if deriving a simple port filter will be enough?

Thanks

Eli

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:21 PM

Answers

• filtering below ataport won't give you the IOCTLs sent to the driver, but nor will filtering above the ataport FDO for the host controller do that either. you would need to filter the ATA channel or more likely the disk/device stack enumerated by that channel to see what IOCTLs the device driver for that device sends down the stack.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:38 AM

All replies

• do you want to filter above or below the driver? what specifically do you want to accomplish by filtering ataport?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hello,

The preferred way for me is to be below this driver. 

I would like to monitor the commands (IOCTLs) the are sent via the driver.

Thanks

Eli

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:30 AM
  • filtering below ataport won't give you the IOCTLs sent to the driver, but nor will filtering above the ataport FDO for the host controller do that either. you would need to filter the ATA channel or more likely the disk/device stack enumerated by that channel to see what IOCTLs the device driver for that device sends down the stack.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:38 AM
  • Hello Doron,

Thanks for your reply.

As of the answer, I can understand that ataport.sys will send the commands and data (buffers, etc..) as they are sent to the HAL.  Correct?

So, basically, will you suggest to filter disk.sys?

Thanks,

Eli

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Dear Doron,

Suppose I want to filter ataport.sys, will deriving a general filter driver will make the job?

Thanks

Eli

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:08 AM