none
How to modify FTDI driver with own VID/PID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a custom pcb with an FTDI FT232R, SERIAL<->USB converter.

Until WIN 7, we simply banged our own VID/PID combination into the INF files,

and it worked (although it has been coughing warnings since Vista).

Now we live in WIN 8, and need to certify the modified driver,

and it looks like Odysseus's journey was a mere walk to kindergarden against this.

So far I sent modified INF files to FTDI, which they accepted and granted reseller rights to their driver.
    Now in my fresh Dev Center account, under Hardware certification/Manage submissions,
    I have an entry from FTDI marked as resell. 
    Downloading the Signed files there tells me the CAT files are still the same of the original driver.

Can anybody help me with the road from here, i think it should be:
    - Modify the driver by replacing  FTDIs INF files with mine (how to do ?)
    - Sign the stuff somehow with my  brand new certificate and send to Microsoft to check ?
    - Microsoft will return new cat files that make my driver install without red wallpaper ?

And, last not least: 
    - How to reduce the OS to check to WIN8 32/64 bit, so I dont have to sell my car because checking fails on some dumb error of mine?

I admit I have installed HCK Studio and Winqual submisson tool, but I am really lost here,

no idea where to look first.... no recipe....

Hey, any hint or link here really appreciated !

Michael

mschmelz

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:21 PM

All replies

• I'm facing the exact same situation

Have you succeeded signing your modified inf file? If yes, how did you achieve it?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Any of you successfully signed your driver? I'm just in the beginning of the road.

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:20 PM