none
[EWS] Changes needed for Wave 15? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not quite sure I understand the term "Wave 15" - does that refer to the next version of Microsoft Office/Outlook?  Does it refer to changes in Exchange server?  What about the servers used by Office 365 email?  Specifically I am wondering if EWS will work as-is for existing applications that use EWS (direct, not the managed API).  I assume so, but wanted to double check.  Are there new EWS capabilities that I should be aware of?

Jeffrey McKay

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:30 PM

All replies

• "Wave 15" in Exchange refers to Exchange 2013 which has a build version of 15.x (Exchange 2010 had build version of 14.x). Exchange Online (the Exchange part of Office 365) is kind of version-less (but who knows what marketing will do in the future) at the moment it's Exchange 2010 and there is a Preview version running on 2013.

EWS is backwards compatible so your code that is written from Exchange 2007 should work okay with 2013 (you should however test is thoroughly yourself), best new feature in EWS for me are the eDiscovery operations because they basically allow you to search every mailbox folder in one operation using KQL. All the other new features and operations are listed on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange/jj190903.aspx. Contact aggregation called the Unified Contact Store (which is done just using some search folders) is one to watch out for also Token authentication if you looking to support SSO.

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:54 AM