none
How to change add-in help target for outlook ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have developed an outlook add-in that customizes the Ribbon in outlook 2010. When the user hovers over the controls added by my add in, Outlook displays a message to press F1 for add-in help. However, when the user presses F1, it points to Outlook help to "See colleagues' social network updates in Outlook".

I have been searching online, and the only discussion that I could find on the topic only stated that the showing of this help cannot be disabled.

My question is, if it cannot be hidden/suppressed, can the target be changed? How do I change it so that it loads my company's support web site when the user presses F1?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Thimila.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thimila,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I don't think we have any way to customize that.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:50 PM
  • The best you can do is to set "supertip" text. You cannot change the Help target at all.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Thanks for your responses guys.

That seems like a very dumb thing (sorry, but I do feel so). ave ALL custom ribbon controls ALWAYS display the help label and direct to the same page (which by the way has no relevance to add-ins or custom ribbon controls), regardless of who develops them.

I know why the displaying of the add-in name is fixed - to find out which add-in placed that control there - and it is a valid reason. But why cannot the help target be changed? Is there an explanation by MS why this is as it is?

Cheers,

Thimila

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:19 AM