External Users & Alternate Access Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following scenario and was hoping someone could tell me if this is possible or not:

- SharePoint 2010 Intranet -- AAM setup for employee.domain.com
    - On this site we have multiple project sites we would like to grant access to outside users (partners)
    - For each project site we've created a unique group with user accounts
    - Added seperate hostname for partners.domain.com

Users can logon fine with partners.domain.com/projects/projectname however, it would be a lot easier if when the user hits partners.domain.com it directs them to their correct project site. Is this possible? Maybe with matching project name to UPN or something? Any ideas? Thanks.

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:39 PM

Answers

• There isn't a way for IIS to send a user to a site based off their group memberships.  You may be able to do it with custom code inside the page they land on when they browse to the root site, but the type of logic you're talking about doesn't exist in IIS or SharePoint out of the box.  The user will probably only browse to the actual URL where they have access anyway, right?  Also, what if someone has access to two project sites?  Where would they be sent?  It just doesn't seem like a very fruitful or helpful thing to want to do even if it could be done.  In my environments, I have links to the sites on the main splash page, and I target those links to the groups that have been created so that people only see the sites they belong to in the links list.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mr Jstin Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:03 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:49 PM

All replies

• There isn't a way for IIS to send a user to a site based off their group memberships.  You may be able to do it with custom code inside the page they land on when they browse to the root site, but the type of logic you're talking about doesn't exist in IIS or SharePoint out of the box.  The user will probably only browse to the actual URL where they have access anyway, right?  Also, what if someone has access to two project sites?  Where would they be sent?  It just doesn't seem like a very fruitful or helpful thing to want to do even if it could be done.  In my environments, I have links to the sites on the main splash page, and I target those links to the groups that have been created so that people only see the sites they belong to in the links list.
    • Marked as answer by Mr Jstin Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:03 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Hey Clayton -

Thanks for your response. I suppose that method would work fine also. I just don't like how if the user (partner) in this case goes the partners.domain.com they get an access denied, but when they go to the project site (partners.domain.com/project/projectname) it works fine. Not a big deal, just was curious if SharePoint or IIS was "smart" enough to figure out what a user has access to within the collection and point them to the site they have access to.

I'm going to look into creating a splash page and doing something similiar. That's a good tip!

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:59 PM
  • I definitely wouldn't refer to that as being smart or not.  Someone may have access to many places, so there's no way for IIS to magically know where to send someone each tmie they get Access Denied from SharePoint.

Your users should not get denied access to the root site.  You should make that a splash page that all users can access.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Maybe you could try checking with the Audience settings, check this article http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/sharepoint-server-help/target-content-to-specific-audiences-HA010169053.aspx

Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:50 AM
  • Audience targeting is what I already mentioned for showing links to users on the splash page.  Audience targeting of course will not redirect users to other sites, though.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:36 AM