I get “Message with invalid length 1416128883 was received.” when trying to connect with EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Win 7 and Expression Web4. I haven't connected with my hosting server for 8-10 weeks but now when I try using the correct username and password, I get the following message, “Message with invalid length 1416128883 was received.” My password contains upper and lower case letters a number an an exclamation mark. I don't understand the invalid length comment. I also can use FileZilla ftp program and the username and password work just fine. However, I am addicted to using EW4 ftp feature. How can I make it work?

timburleigh

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:23 AM

All replies

• I don't recognize that error message, and we're users here, not MS tech support. However, one quick and dirty resolution has worked before. External to EW (so EW doesn't try to adjust paths), in Explorer, copy your site root folder and paste it under a different name. In EW, click "Site|New Site...", then navigate to that new folder and create it as a new site. Then click "Site|Publishing Settings..." and reenter all of your credentials. Then try to publish again.

Sounds kinda arcane, but it has worked before, and I have no knowledge of anything related to that error. You can probably do the whole thing in less time than it took me to type it, so give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:16 AM
  • Sorry Scott, while I appreciate your suggestion, I found it did not work. Are there any more ideas out there? I Googled and I Binged the error string with poor results. (I only find this thread.) Perhaps the number itself has no meaning but it still occurs. Can it have something to do with a bug in EW4?

By the way, I can connect using the same credentials and on FileZilla. I prefer using the ftp that is part of EW4 because I like the GUI.

Please see if you can attract one or more of your contemporaries in this thread.

timburleigh

Monday, November 3, 2014 2:34 AM
  • The number is a string length. It would have no meaning in a google search. The error itself, without the length number, might (especially if there was an error number associated with the message, which you didn't mention). 

Beyond that, if something works, then stops working, and you made no changes to anything, its pretty much impossible for someone else to guess what broke or how to fix it.

Monday, November 3, 2014 3:55 PM
  • And just FWIW, my "contemporaries" here, like myself, are simply users of EW, not MS employees or tech support. As a consequence, we do not have access to any technical or engineering documentation, nor any specialized software tools appropriate to troubleshooting what appears to be a very esoteric error (I don't recall having seen it here in the six years that I've been a regular contributor). We can offer observations on what we have seen to work before, as I did above, but beyond that there is very little that we can do that you cannot do yourself, such as google the message and sift through the results.

Since my first suggestion didn't work, try this. Create a completely new, empty site, no content at all. Then create a publishing destination using the credentials that work with FileZilla. Then try to connect. If you connect without error, then copy one file from your previous site to the new one and try to publish it. If that works, continue until you find the file causing the problem. We had a situation with a previous version of EW where a particular CSS rule was causing problems when the file containing it was enumerated, if you can believe that.

Give that a shot and see what happens.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, November 3, 2014 9:46 PM
  • Thank you Scott. I will give it a try when I return to my computer with EW. In the meantime, thanks for your help. And, I do realize what you said about not being Microsoft employees. Thanks for all you do for everyone. I hope I didn't say anything disparaging. If so, shame on me.

Tim

timburleigh

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:47 PM
  • " hope I didn't say anything disparaging. If so, shame on me."

You didn't.  :)  Scott was just making sure you had the right expectations.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:51 AM