Which hybrid feature is being used by "Hybrid Extranet Sites" ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My understanding on "Hybrid Extranet Sites" as per the Microsoft article here is that "Office 365 sites can be used for partner users and it can be shared with Partner users via MS Account/account having Office 365 subscription/Azure AD Account" and this sites are not connected with SharePoint farm.

Also, when we use "Hybrid Picker" - there is an option for "Hybrid B2B Sites" connection/configuration.

Can anyone please clarify, which "Hybrid" feature is being used in "Hybrid Extranet Sites"? And what "Hybrid B2B Sites" option does in Hybrid picker?

Thanks and Regards,

Dipti Chhatrapati

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:51 AM

Answers

• Hybrid Sites is the feature that aggregates sites that are followed either on-premises or in the cloud to a single list in the cloud.  It has nothing to do with Extranet access. 

Hybrid Extranet Sites (and Hybrid B@B Sites which is a different terminology for the same thing) is a reference to using Office 365 team sites to share with External users.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dipti Chhatrapati Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:40 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:05 PM

All replies

• First, Hybrid Extranet Sites and Hybrid B2B Sites are different names for the same thing. Second, This feature doesn't really use a Hybrid feature.  It merely recognizes that sharing Office 365 sites with external is much easier than implementing a secure extranet in an on-premises environment.  Enabling this feature doesn't really add any functionality to the on-premises environment.  It simply suggests that you use Office 365 for all your extranets.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Gnanasekhar Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:26 PM
  • Thank you, Paul, for your response!

I have the same thoughts what you have described - does it mean that "Extranet sites/B2B sites" doesn't contain any hybrid feature even though its mentioned as one of the Hybrid features in Microsoft Article here and one of the options in hybrid picker here?

I actually require a confirmation on the same to be sure that I am not missing anything in my understanding.

Thank you again for your time!

Best Regards,

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:19 PM
  • This is all it is:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-office-365-sharepoint-online-as-a-business-to-business-b2b-extranet-solution-7b087413-165a-4e94-8871-4393e0b9c037?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:16 PM
  • Hi Dipti Chhatrapati,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:42 AM
  • Just to update further on this:

As per the video in MVA course - Hybrid B2B sites, including hybrid features same as it comes under "Hybrid Sites" option in the hybrid picker.

Hybrid Business to Business Extranet Demonstration

In this case, what is the difference between "Hybrid Sites" and "Hybrid Extranet Sites" - My confusion remains same.

Dipti Chhatrapati

Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:10 AM
  • Hybrid Sites is the feature that aggregates sites that are followed either on-premises or in the cloud to a single list in the cloud.  It has nothing to do with Extranet access. 

Hybrid Extranet Sites (and Hybrid B@B Sites which is a different terminology for the same thing) is a reference to using Office 365 team sites to share with External users.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dipti Chhatrapati Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:40 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Hi Dipti Chhatrapati,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 5, 2018 1:36 AM
  • I always thought it was sneaky of Microsoft to list "extranets" as part of their SharePoint Hybrid features. It gives people the impression that it improves the extranet experience in some specific way. Where-as in reality, they are just referring to standard SharePoint Online functionality that is available regardless of whether you have SharePoint on-premises or not.

Ivan

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 2:49 AM