SQL 7.0 Service Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an urgent need for SQL 7.0 service packs 1, 2, and 3. I have an old SQL 7.0 database that I have to restore. I have the install media but will need the service pack that was installed on the original server in order to restore it. The only available one anywhere is SP4, that and the base install will not work. Can anyone out there provide a link to download SP1, SP2, and SP2?

I am desperate, thank you for any help.

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:09 PM

Answers

• That error isn't about service pack level. Prior to 2000, you couldn't have different collations between different databases. So you need to reinstall/rebuild the instance with the proper collation (aka sort order and code page) before you can restore.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Yes, collation was the issue. I am a novice SQL person and I had confused the error having to do with SQL version. I was able to execute the restore today, what a relief. Every comment in this thread guided me to a solution. Thanks to all of you who commented here, you really saved the day.

Cheers,

Andy

Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:53 PM

All replies

•  Can anyone out there provide a link to download SP1, SP2, and SP2

Hello,

Really SQL Server 7.0? ...whow.

SQL Server service packs are always cumulative, means SP 4 includes all patches of SP 1-3 + additional patches; you need only the latest service pack.

And SP4 is the only still available service pack for SQL Server 7.0 => SQL Server 7.0 Service Pack 4

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Problem is, in order to restore the old database I need the service pack that was currently installed at the time of backup. The service pack was either 1,2, or 3. I need to install each one, then attempt the restoration.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 5:50 PM
  • Are you restoring a system database? because for a user database there is no such restrictions. Did you try restoring in SP4? DId you get any error?

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:53 PM
  • I did, no luck. The error is "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different Unicode locale ID (33280) or Unicode comparison style (0) than the Unicode locale ID (1033) or Unicode comparison style (196609) currently running on this server".

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Tri to reinstall SQL on the server you are moving this to so it has the Unicode Locale
    ID and/or style you need. This will make any user databases on that server now
    unusable, though.

Andy Tauber
    Data Architect
    The Vancouver Clinic
    Website | LinkedIn

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Check this thread

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38431

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Friday, October 24, 2014 11:57 PM
  • I need the service pack that was currently installed at the time of backup.

No, you don't, if it's a valid backup, then you can restore the backup independent of the service pack/patch level of SQL Server; the file/backup format won't change with a service pack.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:59 AM
  • That error isn't about service pack level. Prior to 2000, you couldn't have different collations between different databases. So you need to reinstall/rebuild the instance with the proper collation (aka sort order and code page) before you can restore.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Yes, collation was the issue. I am a novice SQL person and I had confused the error having to do with SQL version. I was able to execute the restore today, what a relief. Every comment in this thread guided me to a solution. Thanks to all of you who commented here, you really saved the day.

Cheers,

Andy

Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:53 PM