none
Using AudioFrames in Power Point 2008 for Mac (PPT format) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have following issue:

I use PP 2008 for Mac. Create a new presentation (/testfolder/test.ppt), adding audioframe with external file (/testfolder/subfolder/test.mp3), save presentation in PPT format. Result was successfully opened in PP 2011 for Mac, but does not works correctly in all Power Point versions for Windows (wrong path to the audio file).

The same presentation but created in PP 2007 for Win does not works in PP 2008 for Mac (but works fine in PP 2011 for Mac).

I tried to parse binary ppt file generated by PP 2008 for Mac. I found an atom with marker 0x1016 in binary file. I can't find specification for this type of atom in the documentation for PPT. I guess that  path to the audio file contained in this atom. I think that PP 2008 for Mac generates files (with audio frames), which can be used only in PP for Mac. So PP 2008 for Mac can't work correctly with files which generated in Windows versions of PP.

I would like to receive comments on the issue.

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi FunkyKytarista

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will follow up with you soon to investigate this issue.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi FunkyKytarista,

I will check on the 0x1016 record type.  You're correct that it doesn't appear in [MS-PPT].   If you're really just interested in the behavior of PowerPoint regarding these audio records, you also should post your question to the Office IT Pro General Discussions

I'll let you know what I find about the record type.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hi FunkyKytarista,

The 0x1016 record is just a linked media file record and as you suspected it does contain the path to the media file.  I will follow up with the specification writers to request that this be added to [MS-PPT].  As far as the problems opening the media in different versions of PowerPoint, it could just be something to do with the format of the link, specifically path or as you suggested the format of the media file itself.  This is not really an Open Specification problem but more of a PowerPoint product support concern.  Please follow up with product support (or the forum that I referred you to earlier) to find out if this is a known problem.   Also, here is a blog which discusses some of the issues with media files in PowerPoint across platforms. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Hi FunkyKytarista,

regarding the 0x1016 record type, this is a Mac-only record type and therefore not covered in the Open Specifications on MSDN (see [MS-PPT] section 1 "Introduction" for a list of the supported product releases).

Thanks,

Tom

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks you for response.

Is somewhere documented that PP 2008 for Mac generates files (with audio frames), which can be used only in PP for Mac and PP 2008 for Mac can't work correctly with files which generated in Windows versions of PP?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Please check with Office IT Pro General Discussions or via product support for these kind of questions.  They are not related to the Open Specifications. 

Thanks,

Tom

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:42 PM