Is it possible to develop for Windows 10/UAP and distribute an installation program (outside the store)? RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering developing software for controlling a hardware unit that will be sold to engineering companies. They are likely to use this software in places that has no Internet access (oil rigs, desert crossing pipeline, etc). There will not be many users. I think a traditional setup program would be a more popular way to distribute this software than sharing through the app store. However, I'm very interested to develop for Windows 10.

Is it possible to develop for Window 10 and the Universal Application Platform (using C#, .Net Native and XAML) and create an installation package that could be shared offline (over USB drives or CDs) without involving the Store?

Sunday, July 5, 2015 10:55 AM

Answers

• Take a look at side loading apps for windows 10.  If you are looking at controlling hardware you might be better off with a wpf app.  Windows store apps run a sandbox and might cause some issues with gaining access to the hardware you want to control
    • Marked as answer by Alex G Haig Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:54 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2015 12:59 PM

All replies

• Take a look at side loading apps for windows 10.  If you are looking at controlling hardware you might be better off with a wpf app.  Windows store apps run a sandbox and might cause some issues with gaining access to the hardware you want to control
    • Marked as answer by Alex G Haig Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:54 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Thank you very much, Ken. The hardware interaction is done over TCP/IP. It just involved sending and receiving streams of bytes (and parsing the buffered byte stream as it arrives) from a set IP address and port number. I've done this in an old application that was built for WinXP and based on Windows Forms. I will have to learn about the sandbox Windows Store Apps run.
    • Edited by Alex G Haig Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:54 PM Grammar fix
    Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:54 PM