News_Edit NullReferenceException RRS feed

• Question

• User984834470 posted

I get a NullReferenceException when I run news_edit.aspx that points to this line of code:

If surl.Text <> "" Then

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:57 AM

All replies

• User-820230059 posted

These exceptions always baffled me, but the best answer is to call them a .NET charatcher behaviour.

You cant call the .Text or .ToString functions on a string that's null, you can usually resolve this by doing a simple check first.

If not string.isnullorempty(surl) then

End If

Rather than the If surl.text <> "" then

End if

Monday, May 7, 2007 12:08 PM
  • User984834470 posted

I replaced the code as you suggested and it generated another error:

Error 1 Value of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' cannot be converted to 'String'. 

Here is the context:

Protected Sub FormView1_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

If FormView1.CurrentMode = FormViewMode.Insert Then

CType(FormView1.FindControl("dtpicker"), DateandTimePicker).selectedDateTime = Now

Else

Dim cb As CheckBox = CType(FormView1.FindControl("CheckBox1"), CheckBox)

Dim surl As TextBox = CType(FormView1.FindControl("staticURLTextBox"), TextBox)

'If surl.Text <> "" Then

If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(surl) Then

cb.Checked = True

surl.Enabled = True

Else

surl.Enabled = False

End If

End If

End Sub

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:08 PM
  • User-820230059 posted

It appears the surl is a textbox, not a string like I'd originally thought.  I dont have the project, so it gets a little harder to diagnose.

The object reference error is probably happening because it's not finding the control on the page during this statment....

Dim surl As TextBox = CType(FormView1.FindControl("staticURLTextBox"), TextBox)

Your best bet, is to turn tracing on - and take a look at the hierchy of the controls leading up to staticURLTextBox and put the entire control name in there.

You can also remove the code I provided, and put back the default code, since if it's finding the textbox correctly, it should work fine.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 10:17 AM