none
VisualC++ command line support RRS feed

• Question

• I am coming from the Unix world. We currently support development/building in a multi-user, command line environment. Does anyone have any knowledge about doing this under Windows? Is this a viable approach? Will VisualC++ support multi users logging in to a single machine, and running make from the command line, for example? 

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:58 PM

Answers

• With Windows you can use remote terminal services to log on to a Windows box remotely: you can then use the compiler from the cmd-line to build projects as you would in the Unix world.

The only issue might be if multiple users attempt to build the same project at the same time: but I believe that this is also a problem on Unix (at least without special make support).

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 4:16 PM

All replies

• With Windows you can use remote terminal services to log on to a Windows box remotely: you can then use the compiler from the cmd-line to build projects as you would in the Unix world.

The only issue might be if multiple users attempt to build the same project at the same time: but I believe that this is also a problem on Unix (at least without special make support).

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 4:16 PM
  • thanks for your response - can you tell me if Visual C++ were installed into a shared file system, such as the Andrew File System, or even NFS, if this would have any effect?    Also, would a product such as win2003 server be required? I know some of this may be off topic, but this seems to be the most appropriate forum dealing with Visual C++.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2006 5:20 PM
  • I don't know about netweok file systems - I suspect that it should work but the performance might not be great.

I pretty certain that you wouldn't need Windows Server 2003 to enable this (at least from a Visual C++perspectiv).

Thursday, April 6, 2006 4:49 AM