none
Map not fully rendered when tiledownloadcomplete event fires RRS feed

• Question

• I am not entirely sure where my problem lies so I am posting here in case it is a problem with Bing Maps.

I am using an HTML to PDF component (eo.pdf) to convert several maps, and other html content into a report (and yes, I do have an enterprise accouunt so I can do that.) Sometimes the tiles on one of my maps in the pdf appear to not be fully loaded. 4 tiles (and always the same 4) look very pixelated like a progressive JPG that is not fully downloaded. Here is a link to a sample PDF, see page 7: PDF Here. The HTML that produces this PDF is here: HTML Here

This happens in about 10% of my reports. The maps are of different areas, but usually when the report is long and I have many pushpins and/or polygons on the maps. I have 4 maps on each report and the first three show all of my data at various zoom levels - the fourth is just a plain Bing map without any of the pushpins or polygons. It is this fourth, simple map that always pixelates.

Here is some data on how this works.

I use Handlebars.js to generate the body, I create each map, I wait for the tiledownloadcomplete event for each map. When all tiledownloadcomplete events are fired for all maps, I instruct my PDF converter it is time to start work by calling eopdf.convert(); after a 6 second delay to give everything a chance to settle down.

I do not know if the problem is with Bing maps not fully rendering the map after tiledownloadcomplete and a delay, or if there is a problem with storing the images in the PDF. The guys at eo.pdf are still stumped. Like I said, it looks like the map tiles are interrupted progressive JPGs, but it appears to me that Bing uses linear images. The images may be stored progressively in the PDF, but I cannot confirm that.

Any insights into this will help in debugging this.

Thanks!

Brad

• Edited by Brad Mathews Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:18 PM

Answers

• Not sure what the issue is with this one. Have you tried contacting the Bing Maps Enterprise support team for instance? All Enterprise customers have access to the support team. If you don't have their email address. log into the Bing maps portal and it should be listed under "Enterprise User Support", on the left side panel.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I heard back from Enterprise support. They were able to recreate the issue and assigned it Bug ID 20263.

One thing I noticed while trying some workarounds suggested by support is that when you have multiple maps on a page, this happens on the last map. So I created a 5th dummy map and deleted it from the final PDF. That seems to be working so far.

- Brad

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure what the issue is with this one. Have you tried contacting the Bing Maps Enterprise support team for instance? All Enterprise customers have access to the support team. If you don't have their email address. log into the Bing maps portal and it should be listed under "Enterprise User Support", on the left side panel.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Thanks, I also sent it to Enterprise support. Put it here for greater exposure and so that any resolution can be shared with the community.

The issue is as I described it, but I also included the link to the PDF because seeing this issue makes it much easier to understand.

- Brad

• Edited by Brad Mathews Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:20 PM
  • I heard back from Enterprise support. They were able to recreate the issue and assigned it Bug ID 20263.

One thing I noticed while trying some workarounds suggested by support is that when you have multiple maps on a page, this happens on the last map. So I created a 5th dummy map and deleted it from the final PDF. That seems to be working so far.

- Brad

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:17 PM