Is it possible to add Attribute(column) to entity via Excel addin? RRS feed

• Question

• I can create an entity via the excel addin and update data in it but i cannot add additional columns (attributes)  to it via the excel addin once its created. am i missing something or is it just not possible?
    Friday, January 23, 2015 10:08 AM

Answers

• It is possible to change the attribute for existing entity, in Web UI.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487047.aspx

Actually, Web UI features is a super set of excel UI. Some of the functionality can be only done in Web UI.

The differences may confused you are,
    In the WebUI, all the masterdata management is in Explorer page, and metadata management is in System Admininistration page.
    In the Excel UI, all the masterdata and metadata management are in the same excel UI, which looks like Explorer page.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:27 PM
  • 1. Web UI auto populating name values when attribute is related to another entity.

In the explorer page, when you choose an existing row or create the new row, the Details page should show domain based attribute as a drop down list, it is similar to the excel.

2. Can I add a new attribute to an existing entity via the Excel Plugin?

A. Load the entity in excel
    B. Click the column of an existing column
    C. Right click and choose "Insert" in the menu, a new column will be insert before the existing column and hightlighted as green.
    C. Choose the new column and click the “Attribute Properties” in the ribbon menu. Change the name and types and click OK. The new column wll be saved.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hmm. Any thoughts for Winston?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:56 PM
  • Winston, is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Winston, is this still an issue?

Thanks!

I worked around it using the excel addin, but the question is to see if its possible to do this in teh MDS web UI, without using excel, as its not very good design to have to jump from the browser based designer to excel and back in order to manage an MDS model.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Hey Ed.

Doesnt look like il get an answer on this so will continue with my workaournd and use both interfaces.

Feedback to the team: Info on MDS in MSDN/Technet is not fantastic by any stretch and there are huge gaps where users like myself have to spend time figuring out how to do simple things like relating two entities and populating an entity with a value from another entity (i dont think its possible in the MDS web UI, only via Excel, but who knows, theres no documentation!)

• Edited by winstonSmith Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:57 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:55 PM
  • It is possible to change the attribute for existing entity, in Web UI.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487047.aspx

Actually, Web UI features is a super set of excel UI. Some of the functionality can be only done in Web UI.

The differences may confused you are,
    In the WebUI, all the masterdata management is in Explorer page, and metadata management is in System Admininistration page.
    In the Excel UI, all the masterdata and metadata management are in the same excel UI, which looks like Explorer page.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:27 PM
  • No confusion. Im aware the excel plugin is a subset of the available functionality in the web UI (not technically true, as it has a few features the web UI does not have, such as auto populating name values in a column when you relate it to another entity)  I just need to know:

Can I add a new attribute to an existing entity via the Excel Plugin?
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:49 PM
  • 1. Web UI auto populating name values when attribute is related to another entity.

In the explorer page, when you choose an existing row or create the new row, the Details page should show domain based attribute as a drop down list, it is similar to the excel.

2. Can I add a new attribute to an existing entity via the Excel Plugin?

A. Load the entity in excel
    B. Click the column of an existing column
    C. Right click and choose "Insert" in the menu, a new column will be insert before the existing column and hightlighted as green.
    C. Choose the new column and click the “Attribute Properties” in the ribbon menu. Change the name and types and click OK. The new column wll be saved.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:09 PM