Getting started with sql express - looking for tutorials RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently downloaded SQL Server 2012 with management studio.  I have programming experience but not in databases.  I am looking for a tutorial which is very basic, covering the following:  how to create a database, and how to pull data out of the database in the form of a report.  I have found numerous tutorials on line but they are too advanced for me.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks,
    Andy

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:04 PM

Answers

• Would you please check-out below related thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlexpress/thread/678ca538-d5c8-4f5b-bae4-15bbc31b7da7

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, February 11, 2013 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, February 15, 2013 8:36 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 4:17 AM
  • You might be interested in some of the SQL Server Books Online tutorials at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590844.aspx

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Hi Andy,

First of all SQl server do not have its own forms or reports to display data. However it has SSRS that displays data but it is not for someone who wanted to begin with.

First thing if you want to use SQL server as you wish above you must learn T-SQL first. Buy any book or books online can help you to gain knowledge. You need to learn about databases, schema, tables, views, triggers, functions, stored procedures etc.

You also need to learn about reporting services to display data. To input the data you may have to depend on some front end tools built in .net or java etc.

As I am not sure your level of technical knowledge and your purpose of this. I would start with MS-access. It comes with Ms-office easy to create database.  Create schema, tables, queries etc. This has forms and reports. Explore that it may serve your purpose.

Or if you wanted to learn MS-SQL server then jump to books online and you have links given by experts in the above posts.

Google is good source of information.

Cheers

Kumar

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• In my opnion, youtube is the best source for beginner tutorials.
    Just look for "SQL server beginners tutorial" or even more like
    "create database", "SQL Full Backup", "Create reports using sql server".

Once you get the basic understanding, you can refer a book.
    SQL server Books online is a great source but it may contain overwhelming information that you probably do not need as a beginner.

Amazon has this book , read reviews and contents, to see if this is what you want 

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-Beginners-Guide-Guides/dp/0071761608/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360282523&sr=1-1&keywords=sql+server+2012+beginner

Hope it Helps!!

• Edited by Stan210 Friday, February 8, 2013 12:19 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Would you please check-out below related thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlexpress/thread/678ca538-d5c8-4f5b-bae4-15bbc31b7da7

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:17 AM
  • You might be interested in some of the SQL Server Books Online tutorials at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590844.aspx

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Hi Andy,

First of all SQl server do not have its own forms or reports to display data. However it has SSRS that displays data but it is not for someone who wanted to begin with.

First thing if you want to use SQL server as you wish above you must learn T-SQL first. Buy any book or books online can help you to gain knowledge. You need to learn about databases, schema, tables, views, triggers, functions, stored procedures etc.

You also need to learn about reporting services to display data. To input the data you may have to depend on some front end tools built in .net or java etc.

As I am not sure your level of technical knowledge and your purpose of this. I would start with MS-access. It comes with Ms-office easy to create database.  Create schema, tables, queries etc. This has forms and reports. Explore that it may serve your purpose.

Or if you wanted to learn MS-SQL server then jump to books online and you have links given by experts in the above posts.

Google is good source of information.

Cheers

Kumar

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I have come across some good tutorials on the same. They are very simple and easy to follow video tutorials

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:54 AM