none
When is MS going to fix these forums? RRS feed

All replies

• I've contacted them recently, usually they get right on issues yet as many know its not always fixed immediately.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:44 PM
  • I think Karen should re-write the forum, maybe then it'll make sense.

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever -Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:00 PM
  • I think Karen should re-write the forum, maybe then it'll make sense.

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever -Mahatma Gandhi

Good idea! :)

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:06 PM
  • This is the wrong forum for this. A Microsoft person will likely move it to the off-topic forum. What they could and should do is to merge the other threads with the same question from the same person into this one and put that in the feedback forum.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:14 PM
  • What is wrong is the poor support for these forums from MS.  Other forums have a better format , why are the forums that I use have such poor support?  Putting the post into the feedback is like saying "we are concerned but we are not going to do anything about it".

Lloyd Sheen

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Microsoft's solution is to support third-party developers. They are directing many MSDN forums to StackOverflow. Unfortunately the atmosphere in StackOverflow tends to be intolerant and even rude. I read an article by the founder of Stack Overflow and he is more opinionated than me. And that rudeness seems to be filtering back into these forums.

I agree that from the beginning, these forums have been a bad example of Microsoft's ability to design and develop applications. My understanding is that the original forum software was purchased from elsewhere.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:24 PM
  • The feedback forum is where the people that are most likely to help would look for comments such as these. It is reasonable to expect that mo Microsoft representatives that looks at this forum would care about a matter such as this. Posting this here is like saying you just want to complain but you  are not sincere about solving the problem.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:44 PM
  • I've tried the feedback forum but I got no joy.  

Lloyd Sheen

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:46 PM
  • I've tried the feedback forum but I got no joy.  

Lloyd Sheen

I've said before that the people who put this forum together (and/or who maintain it) cannot be users of this forum.

If they were, they'd never stand for it.

I think we're their science experiment show-and-tell project. ;-)

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:55 PM
  • Now no indication of who is asking/answering posts.

See this thread:

Things are missing
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7ea3d17e-18b7-484f-aa3a-d04197f466a2/things-are-missing?forum=reportabug

- Wayne

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:11 AM
  • For their next screw-up, now it's stopped sending e-mails.

If this isn't an experiment then I have to wonder why the subtle changes?

Something's going on...

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:07 PM
  • For their next screw-up, now it's stopped sending e-mails.

If this isn't an experiment then I have to wonder why the subtle changes?

Something's going on...

Usually they reply to my messages but have not this time so one has to wonder what's up.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Usually they reply to my messages but have not this time so one has to wonder what's up.

It's obvious that this place is "under new management" and the last time this happened, I think everyone erupted into a concordant "what happened??".

I'm not sure if you were where then but despite our pleas ... MSFT showed that they couldn't care less; in fact, I think it may have been comical to them that we were displeased...

• Edited by Frank L. Smith Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:19 PM ...typo
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:19 PM
  • Usually they reply to my messages but have not this time so one has to wonder what's up.

I'm curious -- did they ever reply back?

Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:53 AM
  • Look at the thread Wayne posted. That thread is in the forum issues forum. On Thursday Richard Mueller replied that the issue has been fixed. So at least the moderators got involved in that thread. Of course, Karen is also a moderator and I am sure they listened to her even if they did not reply.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 18, 2017 1:26 AM
  • Look at the thread Wayne posted. That thread is in the forum issues forum. On Thursday Richard Mueller replied that the issue has been fixed. So at least the moderators got involved in that thread. Of course, Karen is also a moderator and I am sure they listened to her even if they did not reply.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

I don't know who you're talking to but the problems aren't solved.

Look the Viewcount of some of threads. They're changing something; it doesn't change all on its on accord...

Saturday, November 18, 2017 1:34 AM
  • I don't know who you're talking to but the problems aren't solved.

If there are more problems then report them in the issues forum. The other thread lists:

• the names on who is posting things
    • the "Asked by:" and my own stats box information are empty

If someone were to report to you about a problem in software you developed and you fixed the problem, I assume you would not appreciate it if they were to comp-lain that you did not fix the previous problem because there is something else you did not know about. Most application and software developers would insist that a user report a different problem as a different problem. Management might decide that the new problem was caused by the solution of the previous problem but they would expect the problem to be initially reported as a new problem.

I don't know if you have experience with the real world of software development but I sure have.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:23 AM

I'm curious -- did they ever reply back?

Yes Frank they got back to me within the half hour after emailing them as they usually do but I didn't see it until much later as I got extremely busy.

VB Forums - moderator

Saturday, November 18, 2017 3:01 AM

• Yes Frank they got back to me within the half hour after emailing them as they usually do but I didn't see it until much later as I got extremely busy.

VB Forums - moderator

The e-mail is working again.

If you had a part in helping that to come about then thank you.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:43 AM

• If there are more problems then report them in the issues forum. The other thread lists:

• the names on who is posting things
    • the "Asked by:" and my own stats box information are empty

If someone were to report to you about a problem in software you developed and you fixed the problem, I assume you would not appreciate it if they were to comp-lain that you did not fix the previous problem because there is something else you did not know about. Most application and software developers would insist that a user report a different problem as a different problem. Management might decide that the new problem was caused by the solution of the previous problem but they would expect the problem to be initially reported as a new problem.

I don't know if you have experience with the real world of software development but I sure have.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

That's the Microsoft equivalent of the Post Office's dead letter office.

I realize that *they* own this place and we use it free of charge but gratis or not, I do think we have some bit of tacit standing in this.

Why do they want to change something they never use? If the argument is that it's for the betterment of the users then shouldn't we at least be consulted? At some small level at least?

You can't get ten people to agree on what to have for lunch, let alone something like the design of a forum but that notwithstanding, it seems to be patently unfair.

In answer to Lloyd, no they truly do NOT give a f--k and that's not going to change.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:49 AM

• I don't know if you have experience with the real world of software development but I sure have.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sam,

Yes I've experience in this. What you describe is an old way for programmers to change as less as possible because they are afraid for the chance that there become new problems.

Microsoft created the Developer Testing Tools, in which a program should run by a testing team before deployment to be aware if there were not created new unwanted things. 

https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/testing-tools/

However, this seems not to be used by themselves. This forum seems to be done in the before 1980 style of programming. "Make a change to a bug deploy it and wait until the clients complain". (And particularly have no mechanism to do the complaints)

Probably not needed to say that most of the firms who did that and thought they were alone on the world don't exist anymore. 

Success
    Cor

• Edited by Cor Ligthert Saturday, November 18, 2017 11:59 AM typo
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Microsoft created the Developer Testing Tools, in which a program should run by a testing team before deployment to be aware if there were not created new unwanted things. 

https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/testing-tools/

You are confusing regression testing with the testing of interactive applications. Certainly a quarter century ago applications were more batch-oriented and modern applications are more interactive. Interactive software requires appropriate testing tools. Regression testing however is not as new as you think.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:20 PM
  • You only quoted the begin of my message. Not the part where I wrote 1980. 

Yes, I left out parts that are superfluous. Including that additional part would not alter what I said.

I have plenty of criticism of Microsoft. It is so frustrating that you are arguing with me as if I am Microsoft. Attempts to convince me of anything won't accomplish anything except make a huge thread filled with off-topic posts.

This question does not belong here. Since you don't accept that I will leave this for moderators to decide.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:59 AM