Issues with Datagram Sockets for SSDP Discovery implementation

Question

• I have build a phone app (Windows Store 8.1 UAP) that is looking up a music devices on my local network using SSDP discovery. This worked fine on my device, but at some point this stopped working reliably. Only some reply messages are received by my app, many not. The same code works fine as Windows App (wired and wireless) and on the Windows Phone Emulator (8.10.12358.1191) on the PC. I have tried 3 different phone devices (8.10.14203.306, 8.10.12397.895, 8.10.14219.341) with the same result: from 13 devices replying in my network to the Windows Store App, only 2 replies are received on my phone device.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Matthias

p.s. a test project can be downloaded here: http://1drv.ms/1z0GC3x

Sunday, February 01, 2015 6:43 PM

Answers

• James,

yes I can confirm that I am using the same network from both devices, although I have not checked the netmasks used by the different devices. Is this something I should inverstigate?

One suspission is that the behaviour changed after updating my phone (sorry, I do not know with which WP version the behaviour changed). I had a perfect working application until this update on my phone. The emulator uses an older version of the OS and might give an indication for which OS version this works.

Matthias

Monday, February 02, 2015 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your project and I believe it should be a environment related issue instead of coding issue, could you confirm that you have the same network joined from your phone and your PC?

Since I have my tablet also my phone have different netmask, I can see the different number of SSDP discovery result.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 02, 2015 8:31 AM
  • James,

yes I can confirm that I am using the same network from both devices, although I have not checked the netmasks used by the different devices. Is this something I should inverstigate?

One suspission is that the behaviour changed after updating my phone (sorry, I do not know with which WP version the behaviour changed). I had a perfect working application until this update on my phone. The emulator uses an older version of the OS and might give an indication for which OS version this works.

Matthias

Monday, February 02, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Hi Matthias,

Nice to see you have problem solved by upgrade the Windows Phone OS.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:40 AM
  • James, this question is not solved. I still have the issue.

As written in my earlier email, all device I have used for testing are using the same network/access point. The IP addresses come from the same range (192.168.0.xx).

My suspission is that newer version of the WP OS behave differently.

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround available?

Matthias

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 7:25 AM