none
Inventory Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am designing an inventory/sales program. It is a program that I will most likely end up selling to businesses. I will be posting on this thread as I get more questions. 

Is this the proper way to go about it?

1- Design the program

2- Design the login form - User will add, delete, and edit users

3- Implement a SQL server

4- Integrate with e-Commerce websites, if possible eBay & Amazon

5- Licence Authentication & Publishing

Friday, September 1, 2017 12:10 AM

All replies

• I am designing an inventory/sales program. It is a program that I will most likely end up selling to businesses. I will be posting on this thread as I get more questions.

Please complete your open threads before starting a new topic:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f2bf2503-b0e0-4132-b94a-a9b284e2fab2https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/600a1006-a45f-4ebc-bd58-889e4843f6b8

You need to indicate which responses assisted you in resolving your problem by marking them as answers.

Friday, September 1, 2017 1:29 AM
  • I would suggest starting off with a business design that tells what the application will do from top to bottom. Break the entire project into stories and task which lays out a timeline but also consider being agile in that while writing the project code you should have someone testing what has been coded and if at all possible if you don’t have full knowledge of what is encompassed by a inventory/sale application enlist someone who can assist with the business design. If you are looking to integrate as in bullet 4 do research on what they support to integrate and be forewarned my guess is code will be in JavaScript and or C#, not VB.NET.

Next up, determine the database design based on the business design/requirements.

Determine what platforms the solution will run on e.g. web, mobile, desktop etc.

Settle on a database server and backup plan

The first place to consider security is prior to writing code. If on the web consider what direction fits your needs e.g. perhaps a repository pattern using Entity Framework and Web Api or a view model approach.

Decide on the front end based on the platform e.g. HTML5/CSS, ASP.NET while considerations for desktop might be Windows forms or WPF.

Depending on how large of a solution you are creating consider using Team Foundation Server to manage your solution for both code, stories and task.

Thinking about login/authentication, do research and very important pricing. For instance Azure/Owin authentication can be expensive (we went from Owin to B2C for lower cost) while ASP.NET has much of this built in while going away from ASP.NET you would need to role your own.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, September 1, 2017 1:30 AM
  • If you are looking to integrate as in bullet 4 do research on what they support to integrate and be forewarned my guess is code will be in JavaScript and or C#, not VB.NET.

Next up, determine the database design based on the business design/requirements.

Determine what platforms the solution will run on e.g. web, mobile, desktop etc.

Thank you for the feedback and recommendations. It would be used on Windows devices only.

I would like to integrate it with BigCommerce, Amazon, eBay, & possibly Shopify. Does it need to be .NET or VB.NET? The first three say .NET prior to me looking to far into it.

As for the database, I would like it to create its own when installed to the install directory. Have nightly backups to a user chosen destination. As for actually using a database, I will have to do a lot of researching to understand how things will be saved and pulled from it.

Friday, September 1, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Alright, I am designing the program. I am using a TabControl container to have the different pages; create sales, purchase orders, view inventory, customers, vendors, setting, and logs. In the settings tab, I want another TabControl container to have the different settings. I have found that in the TabControl container that the tab names (alignment) can be on the top, bottom, right, and left. When on the left or right, the names go vertically. Is there a way for them to go horizontally stacked? Such as:

Company Info

Preferences

Users

Customer 

Data

etc.

Friday, September 1, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Alright, I am designing the program. I am using a TabControl container to have the different pages; create sales, purchase orders, view inventory, customers, vendors, setting, and logs. In the settings tab, I want another TabControl container to have the different settings. I have found that in the TabControl container that the tab names (alignment) can be on the top, bottom, right, and left. When on the left or right, the names go vertically. Is there a way for them to go horizontally stacked? Such as:

Company Info

Preferences

Users

Customer 

Data

etc.

It just goes to show that the developer has no business designing UI(s). You the developer, the architect, should be concerned on how to architect the solution from the frontend to the backend, what needs to be in place based on selected technology used and how to do it effectively. The least of your problems should by about the UI.

What needs to be in place on how to do it has been put before you, and you need to figure it out on how to deal with tiers/layers.

Two of the tiers/layers, the BLL and the DAL should be working  without you writing a lick of code at the UI to test and make them work,  by using a test harness and doing functional testing of BLL and DAL.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/21115/Building-an-N-Tier-Application-in-VB-NET-in-Step

Friday, September 1, 2017 8:36 PM
  • You sit there and talk about e-Commerce, but you don't know how to achieve it. Are you going to sit there and place all the code into the form classes, a tight coupling of the code that will only work from a Windows desktop solution? e-Commerce requires that you deal with the Web and Web UI(s).

So what are you going to do? Are you going to take the business logic and DB logic from the desktop to solution and bringing it line by line to the WEB UI(s)?  

So are you going to think on how can I achieve code re-useage? So if one can decouple the BLL and the DAL from the UI, then one is 3/4 of the way home, because can couple the BLL and DAL either to the Windows UI or the Web UI, because the BLL and DAL doesn't care which one is used, because nothing is tightly coupled to the form Windows or Web classes.

http://www.dotnet-stuff.com/tutorials/c-sharp/understanding-loose-coupling-and-tight-coupling

So it comes down to this. Are you going to do the right thing and develop a solid .NET solution or are you developing trash?

Friday, September 1, 2017 9:28 PM