Mixing Databases - SQLServer and MS Access ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1904301319 posted

In a current project I am considering using SQLServer 2005 Express database and also Access database and this will be deployed, probably to a Database only server.

But are there any drawbacks to doing this (using both SQL Server and Access databases)?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:22 PM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

Does this imply you can actually combine them?

For example, you can link tables from a SQL Server Database in an Access Database. Then you can access the SQL Server table(s) using the same connectionstring as you're using to access the Access tables in that database

And another bugging question - is it legal to use SQL Server 2005 Express or SQL Server 2008 Express R2 in a commercial business environment (for production use)?

Yes you can

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• User11483486 posted

Access database is not recommended to use on a long run while a more versatile sql server exists. try to convert data from access to sql server and access it from that single server.

May be you can automate the process of converting data from access to sqlserver by writing a small program in your project. using SSIS etc.

Hope that helps

Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:51 AM
  • User-1904301319 posted

I was expecting an answer like this, but not quite what I'm asking.

The Access database is likely to remain small and will not be queried as much as SQL Server database.

Still, is it okay to run the 2 different types side by side?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:53 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Still, is it okay to run the 2 different types side by side?

Off course...

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:09 AM
  • User3866881 posted

I'm afraid that you cannot mix them together, here's my reasons:)

1) Access and SQL Server are quite different from each other.

2) And in C# or .NET, both of two databases have quite different class to deal with——For Access here goes the AccessDatasource or OledbXXX, for SQL, we use SqlDataSource or SqlXXX.

Maybe you should split them from each other, just like hans_v's idea (Side by side)

:)

Saturday, April 9, 2011 10:35 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I'm afraid that you cannot mix them together,

How come I do this on a daily basis?

1) Access and SQL Server are quite different from each other.

Yeah, so what?

2) And in C# or .NET, both of two databases have quite different class to deal with——For Access here goes the AccessDatasource or OledbXXX, for SQL, we use SqlDataSource or SqlXXX.

What about using the System.Data.Common class?

Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:54 AM
  • User-1904301319 posted

I did mean to run them side by side - 2 separate databases. Not sure what you were meaning then.

I'm afraid that you cannot mix them together,

How come I do this on a daily basis?

Does this imply you can actually combine them? Now I'm getting really confused.

And another bugging question - is it legal to use SQL Server 2005 Express or SQL Server 2008 Express R2 in a commercial business environment (for production use)?

I can see the comparison list for all the editions but it makes no mention if it can be used for this or not and/or if it should either.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:54 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Does this imply you can actually combine them?

For example, you can link tables from a SQL Server Database in an Access Database. Then you can access the SQL Server table(s) using the same connectionstring as you're using to access the Access tables in that database

Yes you can

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:12 PM