How do I add a quick video tutorial on first run

• Is it possible to show a quick video and picture tutorial of how to use my app after the splash screen upon first running the app? I would most likely have to capture a demo on my computer and convert it to whatever video format is compatible.

Some of my users are still having issues understanding the way grid views work in Windows 8 and how to use semantic zoom for touch and mouse to speed up scrolling.

Alternatively, I tried having the app start "initially zoomed out" but it crashes when navigating between pages quickly. It also has a delay when switching from snapped view to full-screen. Any help on this would be nice.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:20 PM

• You could create a Page Control with a video tag in it referencing your tutorial video.

Then, on your default.js on "app.onactivated" handler you could detect whether its the first time (by a flag, that could be stored on Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.current.localSettings) and redirect to the tutorial instead of redirecting to the default page of the PageControlNavigator.

args.setPromise(WinJS.UI.processAll().then(function () {
    var url = null;
    var appdata = Windows.Storage.ApplicationData;
    var firstTimeFlag = !appdata.current.localSettings.values["firstTime"] ? true : appdata.current.localSettings.values["firstTime"];
    if (args.detail.previousExecutionState !== activation.ApplicationExecutionState.terminated) {
     if (!firstTimeFlag)
       url = Application.navigator.home; //initial page
       url = "/pages/page1/page1.html"; //tutorial page
    appdata.current.localSettings.values["firstTime"] = true;
    else {
      if (!firstTimeFlag)
       url = Application.navigator.home; //initial page
       url = app.sessionState.lastUrl;
    return WinJS.Navigation.navigate(url);

• Marked as answer by jflintstone81 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:00 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:54 PM