I want to have a parameter for report that is not used in query RRS feed

• Question

• User-1210839387 posted

using vs.net 2005

I have a report where I added a new parameter and I do not want to use this parameter for the query, the only reason I added this new parameter is that I am going to the use the value passed to create label text:

ex:  when the report is for subsection 3 then I pass in the value 3 and do this for the expression

<ex>

="5." & Parameters!p4.Value & ".1 The values for this section are:"

</ex>

however when I added this new parameter and I run the report it is trying to use this new parameter but I only want to use the new parameter for how i described above, how do I change the parameter so I can use it in the way I describe only?

thanks

MC

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:59 AM

Answers

• User-8475372 posted

Dear User,

Normally, the report parameters are automatically created when u choose a stored procedure in the dataset for the report. The input parameters in the stored procedure would be the parameters for the report.

However, you can modify the parameters by checking in the report parameters section. This will be useful if you want to add any additional parameters to your report ( As in your case ).. For example, you are sending one parameter from your application as query string.. Works in that case. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 2:48 AM

All replies

• User306743125 posted
    What do you mean "the report is trying to use the parameter"...do you receive some error message? It is possible to create report parameters and not use them on the report at all or only conditionally.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 12:06 PM
  • User-1210839387 posted

the report is using the parameter for the query.

what I realized is this: even though I do not need the new parameter for the stored proc query I still added it meaning that there is an extra parameter in the stored proc that is not used but I need to have it there otherwise my report errors out.

I am only using this new parameter to display on the page, i do not need it for the stored proc but looks like i have to add it there.

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:14 PM
  • User-8475372 posted

Dear User,

Normally, the report parameters are automatically created when u choose a stored procedure in the dataset for the report. The input parameters in the stored procedure would be the parameters for the report.

However, you can modify the parameters by checking in the report parameters section. This will be useful if you want to add any additional parameters to your report ( As in your case ).. For example, you are sending one parameter from your application as query string.. Works in that case. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 2:48 AM
  • User2105670541 posted

you can remove that additional parameter by going to dataset properties>> parameters>> click on the parameter you want to delete >> delete,.

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:14 AM