none
V2 Pricing Question per "$0.50 per 50,000 modified/referenced entities" statement RRS feed

• Question

• Am I reading this correctly?

V2 Pricing model charges "$0.50 per 50,000 modified/referenced entities" based on the information at "https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/data-factory/data-pipeline/". 

I have an Azure Table with 800 million entities, and I want to copy/transfer this data into a Azure SQL Table.

* I am ignoring all other extraneous costs to simplify my question.

If I use V2 that comes out to $8,000....based on the calculation (800m entities/50k) *($.50) = $8,000

If I use V1 which states "Data Movement between Cloud data stores" is $0.25/hour that same data transfer would be around $30...based on 800m entities = 800GB using a transfer rate of 2MB/s (based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/copy-activity-performance) that equates to 800,000MB/2MB/s = 400,000 seconds / 60 seconds / 60 minutes = 111 hours * $.25/hr = $27.75

What am I missing? I cannot believe the costs between V1 and V2 are so different.

Can somebody either confirm my estimate is correct or clarify for me what I do not understand in these pricing models.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Bjackman,

"Modified/reference entities" refers to creating/updating/deleting/viewing data factory artifacts, namely pipelines, linked services, and datasets.  Entities here do not refer to the actual data objects in the source or destination data stores themselves.

For the cost of data movement, the pricing remains the same between V1 and V2, so your calculation estimates for V1 would hold true for V2 as well.  Please refer to "Pipeline orchestration and execution" section of the pricing page, and look for "data movement activities".

Thank you for your feedback and we will update the pricing page to make the terms more clear.

Shirley

Friday, September 21, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Thank you for clarifying what was meant by "Entities". I assumed I did not understand that statement since there would be a lot more feedback (read "complaints") if the costs were as high as I was calculating. I am glad to see costs are similar and will move to the V2 version to take advantage of the latest features. 
    Friday, September 21, 2018 4:08 PM