none
"Cellular Emulator" com17 problem

Question

• hi all

I have installed sdk for the 6.0 mobiles.When ever i start the program "Cellular Emulator" the error comes as
    "COM 17 is used , please verify"
    The things i have done so far
        I read the same topic in Chinese here (with google translation here )
        Result : After uninstalling of blue tooth also no result

i listed all the comm ports and got this result
    AUX = \DosDevices\COM1
    COM1 = \Device\Serial0
    COM17 = \Device\VCom17
    COM18 = \Device\VCom18
    COM19 = \Device\VCom19
    COM20 = \Device\VCom20
    COM27 = \Device\VCom27
    COM3 = \Device\VCom3
    COM4 = \Device\VCom4
    COM5 = \Device\VCom5
       My machine does have vs2005 / and it has os of windows xp professional   

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

bye
    aryasheel

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:05 AM

All replies

• Dear aryasheel,

Could you please check if COM17 has been occupied by other application?

Thanks,

Zero Dai - MSFT

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:51 AM
  •  Zero Dai - MSFT wrote:

Dear aryasheel,

Could you please check if COM17 has been occupied by other application?

Thanks,

Zero Dai - MSFT

I checked and the result is also there in the first post , what i donot know how to take it out i mean close that com17 port
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:24 PM
  • I'm having the same exact issue, all ports appear to be free.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:46 PM
  • I have the same issue on Vista 32.

Anybody found what is the problem?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:29 AM
  • Same problem here, com17 in use. I have no known application using com17 but would it be possible to try and change which ports cellular emulator is looking at?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Same problem (except COM18 here). My Bluetooth stack uses a pile of COM ports, including COM18. Can I configure the Cellular Emulator to use another port? I didn't see anything in the XML files referencing COM18.

...R

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:21 AM
  • An update: COM18 is NOT in use on my PC. The error message is hardly helpful ("please verify" then the app dies). Anyone resolve this? I need the emulator. Thanks!

...R

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:13 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Brand new Dell Latitude, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, VPN, WinXP Pro, VS2005, latest SP's and security updates.  COM17 is not listed as an installed port in the device manager.

Please advise...this really isn't a show stopper, but it's annoying as hell.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Same with me... its frustrating :-(

Ian

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:18 PM
  • After diggining into this further, Toshiba's Bluetooth Stack (sounds familiar) is setting COM17 aside for use with it's own services.  Removal of the software, editing the ini files to omit com17, and stripping any reference to com17 out of the registry has had no effect.  I still receive the error...  COM17 is...whatever.

Will this not run on a laptop, or is there some obscure startup switch I have to switch like the network home vs. corp, or the above 3Gig RAM?

The SPY (and other included tools) start up just fine and bring up the (a) virtual device.

Please advise...Thnks.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:29 PM
  • After messing with this issue all day.  I have found a solution that worked for me, YMMV.  In this instance I am using the Standard SDK Refresh.

1 - Uninstall the SDK. If you get a message saying that COMxx is in use or something similar, Disable the System Devices -> XPVCOM Port device in Device Manager and reboot.  Repeat Uninstall.

2 - Verify that you have 14 COM ports available in the 3-32 range. (I had a USB bluetooth module installed that I had to uninstall to free up these ports.)

3 - Reinstall SDK and reboot

These steps allowed me to get the cellular emulator running without the error message.  I was also able to reinstall the bluetooth module without impacting cellular emulator.  Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:07 PM
  • After 1.000.000 if try, nothing to do, I followed also the instruction of Dystracted but nothing to do.

How is possible that Microsoft leave us in trouble without help us ??

Giuseppe

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Hi Zero,

there is some application help to check which application use the COM17 ??

Giuseppe

Saturday, October 13, 2007 7:14 AM
  • Hi Lads,

I had the same problem with my Dell Lattitude D630. Modem was using COM3. I disabled modem in DeviceManager, reinstalled Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh (option repair) and it worked.
    I hope it helps.

Kind Regards
    Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:18 PM
  •  Michal Golka wrote:
    Hi Lads,

I had the same problem with my Dell Lattitude D630. Modem was using COM3. I disabled modem in DeviceManager, reinstalled Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh (option repair) and it worked.
    I hope it helps.

Kind Regards

yes i did the same - and now it works

but after the cellular emulator it running - there are additional steps to do http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158502.aspx
    Friday, March 07, 2008 1:26 AM
  •  Michal Golka wrote:
    Hi Lads,

I hope it helps.

Kind Regards

It works ! Thanks a lot Michal

by Walter

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Hi all,

It also worked for me!
    I had disabled bluetooth device in device manager, re-install SDK, and then all goes fine.

Regards
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 2:42 PM
  •  

Hi, same here, COM17.

I don't want to disable modems (internet) and uninstall bluetooth. Couldn't it just use another port?

Jan

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

I have a very simple solution to this problem.
    No need to Uninstall and install anything.

1. Just disable Bluetooth or Modem whichever is using the COM port.
    2. Run the following commands in command prompt:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Cellular Emulator\InstallXPVCom.exe UnInstall"
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Cellular Emulator\InstallXPVCom.exe Install"
    3. Start the Cellular Emulator
    4. Now you can enable ur disabled device

I hope this will be helpful....

Regards
    Avinash

• Proposed as answer by InnoDev Friday, June 12, 2009 8:05 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:18 AM
  • I am having same problem any solution so far from M$?

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:17 AM
  • Hi I have disabled all the  COM ports that other useful applications are using and now I can use cell emulator (penny for pound). I think it uses COM port upto COM28. I think they should use some other ports (or at least it should not be hardcoded to use some particular ports) so that cell emulator can live peacefully with other usefull applications.

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:37 AM
  • If someone is still in trouble with this, I've just solved my problem by simply doing this :

- Open Regedit
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\xpvcom\history\group
    - Double-Click on the entry named '6', the one with a value equal to 'COM17<-->COM27'
    - Clear the value so that you still have the entry named 6 but data is empty
    - Start Cellular Emulator

:)
    • Proposed as answer by Marius du Toit Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:16 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:23 PM
  • If someone is still in trouble with this, I've just solved my problem by simply doing this :

- Open Regedit
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\xpvcom\history\group
    - Double-Click on the entry named '6', the one with a value equal to 'COM17<-->COM27'

You  Rock... This really worked. I was having Com17 problem and it is gone now

taurean
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Thanks Avi,

This worked for me and best part is without re installation.

Cheers!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:08 PM

- Open Regedit

You  Rock... This really worked. I was having Com17 problem and it is gone now

taurean
    dude you are awesome, i tried so hard to figure out what to do n your tip worked except mine was for com10.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:53 AM
  • your genious man, it solved my problem, the only thing that i am getting COM 6 error.
    BTW, how did you get it,

gr8 work man...hats off...

Thanks,
    Prashanth
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have a very simple solution to this problem.
    No need to Uninstall and install anything.

1. Just disable Bluetooth or Modem whichever is using the COM port.
    2. Run the following commands in command prompt:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Cellular Emulator\InstallXPVCom.exe UnInstall"
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Cellular Emulator\InstallXPVCom.exe Install"
    3. Start the Cellular Emulator
    4. Now you can enable ur disabled device

I hope this will be helpful....

Regards
    Avinash

I had this same problem and solved it using steps 2-4.  I did not have to disable my BlueTooth or Modem.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:01 PM

- Open Regedit

Great - this solved my problem.
    Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by maxnis Friday, February 18, 2011 7:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by maxnis Friday, February 18, 2011 7:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:44 AM
  • hi

In my case it was some Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL
    in the Device Manager->Ports that worked on COM3, I disabled it, canceled the installation, rerun the setup again - the second time it worked very fast and finished successfully. Then re enabled that SOL and that's it.

apparently we have to look for any hardware or software monitoring needed COM in the Device Manager and tempor. disable it.

Friday, February 18, 2011 7:13 PM