Joining Domain After Clean Installation Doesn't Work

Question

• Hello, after a clean installation i am trying to join my domain but it always pops up this message "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "my_domain_name": The specified either does not exist or could not be contacted". When I updated my operateig system from win xp professional to win 8 dev. preview the domain worked fine. I also tried to join my domain with a win xp laptop and it worked fine with the same account. What's wrong with windows 8. Thaks in advance.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Babis,

I am sorry to response that late. I see that your DNS returns an APIPA (169.254.152.126) address for one of your domain controllers. This indicates a problem. APIPA is an automatically assigned IP address and indicates a non-routable network. Please check your DNS!

Try running

DCDIAG /TEST:DNS /V

You can grab the tool from here.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:21 PM

All replies

• On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:17:35 +0000, Babis Grigoriadis wrote:

Hello, after a clean instalation i am trying to join my domain but it always pops up this message "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "my_domain_name": The specified either does not exist or could not be contacted". When I updated my operateig system from win xp professional to win 8 dev. preview the domain worked fine. I also tried to join my domain with a win xp laptop and it worked fine with the same account. What's wrong with windows 8. Thaks in advance.

Can you ping the FQDN of your domain by name, for example, if your domain
    name is contoso.com, can you "ping contoso.com"?

Run the following command at a command prompt and then post the results:

nslookup <FQDN>

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Brain fried -- core dumped.

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:13 PM
  • The message says that your domain controller cannot be contacted. This primarily indicates network connection problems. Are you sure you can contact your domain controller from Windows XP? The fact that you can log in with your domain account into Windows XP does not guarantee that your computer is in domain (you may use cached login on your laptop).

Whereas it's almost the same as with basic GUI, what if you try this:

NETDOM /Domain:contoso.com /user:yourdomainaccount /password:yourdomainpassword MEMBER YOURCOMPUTERNAME /ADD
    NETDOM /Domain:contoso.com MEMBER YOURCOMPUTERNAME /JOINDOMAIN

Also, what happens if you run the following command:

nltest /DSGETDC:contoso.com

Also try this to organize secure channel with your domain controller:

net use \\contoso.com\NETLOGON\

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hello and thank you for your interest, i have tried these commands with the above results:

ping csintranet.gr
    Ping request could not find host csintranet.gr. Please check the name and try ag
    ain.

nslookup csintranet.gr
    Server:  csdc.csintranet.gr
    Address:  192.168.1.65

Name:    csintranet.gr
    Addresses:  192.168.1.89

NETDOM /Domain:csintranet.gr /user:babis /password:***** MEMBER C
    SPC14 /ADD
    'NETDOM' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

NLTEST /DSGETDC:csintranet.gr
    Getting DC name failed: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN

Any ideas why is that happening?

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hello, after a clean installation i am trying to join my domain but it always pops up this message "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "my_domain_name": The specified either does not exist or could not be contacted". When I updated my operateig system from win xp professional to win 8 dev. preview the domain worked fine. I also tried to join my domain with a win xp laptop and it worked fine with the same account. What's wrong with windows 8. Thaks in advance.
    I forgot to mention that my laptop was not part of the domain, but i was able to join my domain with success.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:33 AM
  • As your ping test was failing to find the domain controller, are you pointing to the correct DNS server for name resolution to find the domain?
    Netdom is not installed on Windows Developer Preview.

You can run ipconfig /all adn ping to a text file to view it.
    This will show the IP address for your computer as well as the IP address of your DNS server.

Run Ipconfig /all >ipconfigtest.txt

Then you can view the file.

Marilyn
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:13 AM
  • The IP and DNS appears to be fine, all the members of the domain have the same DNS. I can "ping" my domain controller but nothing more.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi Babis,

I am sorry to response that late. I see that your DNS returns an APIPA (169.254.152.126) address for one of your domain controllers. This indicates a problem. APIPA is an automatically assigned IP address and indicates a non-routable network. Please check your DNS!

Try running

DCDIAG /TEST:DNS /V

You can grab the tool from here.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:21 PM