Web Application Deployment Project: Installer Fails on Vista but not on XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• User1490157962 posted

I am trying to create an installer for my web application.  I can't seem to get it right. 

Firstly, I'd like to have just one file.  For some reason I get the msi file as well as some setup file.  How can I just create a single file to distribute?  (I think the setup file isn't necessary.  If that's the case, what is it for?)

Secondly, and more importantly:  I created the Web application with VS 2008 (using .NET Framework 2.0).  OS is Vista Ultimate (64-bit).  Without changing any of the defaults, I simply built the deployment project after adding it to my solution. 

When I right click on the deployment project and select Install, I get the error: You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine.  Log on as administrator and then retry this installation.

This, of course, is absurd, since I logged on as an administrator (as I always do).  In any case, I then navigate to my debug directory, and try to run the msi that way.  I get the same error,  The msi does not have the option to Run as Administrator, but the seperate setup file does, so I right-click on the setup file and Run as Administrator.  It appears to be installing, then at the very end, it pauses for a while and apparently changes its mind as the progress bar then goes in reverse!  Then I get this wonderful little message: The installer was interrupted before APP_NAME could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.  (Which of course would only get the result in the same error.)

What's more, is that when I copy the msi file to my other laptop running XP Professional, it installs successfully!

Monday, December 1, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• User1490157962 posted

I have determined that by turning off UAC on my Vista machine that I can begin the install with just the msi file (instead of the setup.exe file).  Of course I could never expect my customers to disable UAC before running the msi, but I'll worry about that some other time.  The problem still exists that, while it appears to be installing, at the very end, the progress bar pauses then goes in reverse untill  i receive the error message: The installer was interrupted before APP_NAME could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again. The question still remains: how can I find out what is causing this "interruption"?  Why does it not get interrupted on XP Pro?

Are these installers capable of creating Virtual Directories on IIS 7? 

Monday, December 1, 2008 4:25 PM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

When we build Web Setup project, it will produces two files, setup.exe and ApplicationName.msi. You can refer to http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=418714 for their differences.

There are many reasons can cause this issue, such as requirements are not meet. We can try to install it another x64 machine to see if it works.

We also can run it with log and to find some clues from it: msiexec /i path of msi file /l*vx .log file path 

For more information about msiexec command line, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988.aspx

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:48 PM
  • User1490157962 posted

Thank you for your response.  I'm afraid that the log file does not reveal anything I didn't already know.  The lines that refer to the error are:

MSI (c) (AC:B8) [14:07:18:502]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
    ERROR  : [12/05/2008 14:07:18:689] [SetTARGETSITE                           ]: Access denied.
    MSI (c) (A0:84) [14:03:16:014]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

Unless "-2147287038" means anything to you, I don't see how this helps.

Since MSI files cannot be "Run as Administrators" on Vista (like you can do for EXE files), I don't see how anyone could ever execute an msi file without turning off UAC.  Clearly Microsoft didn't think this one through. I am running the most current version of VS on the most current MS OS (Vista), and when I have VS create an installer, the installer only works on older MS Operating systems like XP.  Am I the only one who sees the utter absurdity in this?

I'm beginning to think the only way to create an installer that works on all operating systems would be to spend upwards of $1000 on InsallShield.  Am I right to think this?

Friday, December 5, 2008 2:23 PM
  • User1490157962 posted

While I would obviously need to overcome the permissions issue, I did want to see if any new light is shed when I turn off UAC.  As expected, the installer failed and the log file seems as uninformative as the last. The errors are numerous in this 65,000 line log file.  A couple are listed below:

MSI (c) (38:40) [14:52:43:654]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
    MSI (c) (38:D0) [14:52:44:137]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
    DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action WEBCA_EvaluateURLsNoFail did not close 2 MSIHANDLEs.
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: WEBCA_EvaluateURLsNoFail, 2,
    MSI (c) (38:D0) [14:52:44:137]: Closing MSIHANDLE (15) of type 790542 for thread 5440
    Action ended 14:52:44: WEBCA_EvaluateURLsNoFail. Return value 1.

DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action WEBCA_CreateAppRoots did not close 2 MSIHANDLEs.
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: WEBCA_CreateAppRoots, 2,
    MSI (s) (54:90) [14:54:54:428]: Closing MSIHANDLE (4602) of type 790542 for thread 4012

Friday, December 5, 2008 3:21 PM
  • User1354447825 posted

Hi all,

I have created a websetup on my vista machine, It install successfully on my vista machine and any xp machine. But unfortunatly, i am getting an error message when i want to install my setup to another vista machine.

The installer was interrupted before...................., you need to restart the installer and try again.

while i turn on the Windows feature IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility, and i logged on as an Administrator also.

please help me.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:22 AM