none
User permissions limited to read and execute for MS Access Database after installing the application using Microsoft Software Installer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows forms application which uses Ms-Access Database. I have created a setup project for the application. When the application is installed on the Xp machine it runs fine.But when the application is installed on 2007 and Vista machines the Database permissions to User are limited to Read and Execute.Due to this the application has to be run with administrator role for the application tu run properly.Is there any way to provide the write permission to Users ?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• Are you referring to the file permissions? If you've installed your db file to the Program Files folder then this is what happens. Files there have always required admin privileges to update, and now you're running Vista with UAC you're running as limited user even if you are an administrator. If your db is in the Program Files folder then you will need admin privileges and a manifest in your program requesting elevation to administrator.  Other than that there's nothing I know of in an MSI install that would cause this. Are you familiar with UAC and its effects?

Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:40 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi Pradyu,

Thank you for your post.

I agree with Phil.

Some clarification with you:
    What's the exact error message you received on Vista machine?

User Account Control (UAC) is a new security component from Windows Vista. UAC enables users to perform common tasks as non-administrators, called standard users in Windows Vista, and as administrators without having to switch users, log off, or use Run As.

If you want to bypass UAC, here is a helpful article that illustrates how to bypass Vista UAC.
    Please see: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vista-security/SubvertingVistaUAC.aspx
    However, it is not recommended to do that for security purpose. Phil's suggestion is the better workaround for your concern.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:18 AM

All replies

• Are you referring to the file permissions? If you've installed your db file to the Program Files folder then this is what happens. Files there have always required admin privileges to update, and now you're running Vista with UAC you're running as limited user even if you are an administrator. If your db is in the Program Files folder then you will need admin privileges and a manifest in your program requesting elevation to administrator.  Other than that there's nothing I know of in an MSI install that would cause this. Are you familiar with UAC and its effects?

Phil Wilson
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi Pradyu,

Thank you for your post.

I agree with Phil.

Some clarification with you:
    What's the exact error message you received on Vista machine?

User Account Control (UAC) is a new security component from Windows Vista. UAC enables users to perform common tasks as non-administrators, called standard users in Windows Vista, and as administrators without having to switch users, log off, or use Run As.

If you want to bypass UAC, here is a helpful article that illustrates how to bypass Vista UAC.
    Please see: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vista-security/SubvertingVistaUAC.aspx
    However, it is not recommended to do that for security purpose. Phil's suggestion is the better workaround for your concern.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:18 AM