Azure Virtual Machines Backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a host server called MyHostServer that has hyper V.

This server is been backed up using veeam.

I have 3 Virtual machines ruuning on this host

1: VM1 2: VM2 3:VM3

Currently I have certain files from each virtual machine been backed up to my backupVaulat in azure.

I plan to back up MyHostServer to my backup Vault that will incude all the hard disks for each Virtaul machine is this a good idea?

Should I just backup the entire VM's to azure?

What advice can you give.

Thanks

Mark

Marcus

• Moved by Byron Tardif Monday, June 19, 2017 5:47 PM This is an IaaS question and off topic for App Service
    • Moved by Loydon Mendonca Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:53 AM Moving to Azure backup for better assistance.
    Monday, June 19, 2017 12:39 PM

All replies

• Are you referring to your on-premise host with Hyper-V on it or are these VMs already on Azure? 

Also, are you using Veeam with Azure Backup Vault directly or are using an Azure backup server on your VMs? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Are you referring to your on-premise host with Hyper-V on it or are these VMs already on Azure? These VM's are on-premise host with Hyper-V

Also, are you using Veeam with Azure Backup Vault directly or are using an Azure backup server on your VMs? 

My 3 VM's have azure backup agent installed and I can backup to my vault, I might look into Veeam with Azure Backup Vault directly

Hi,

I have a server on-premise that hosts 3 hyper V virtual machines.

Currently I am using azure backup to restore certain drives and not the entire VM to my backup vault.

i.e Server1 is the host hyper V that have the following.

1: VM1 2: VM2 3:VM3

But I do have Veeam also backing up the 3 VM's.

Is there a way to import my Veeam VM backups to azure  account?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Marcus

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:56 PM
  • I shall be moving your query to the Azure backup forums. Experts on Azure backup will be able to help you better on this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Refer the below two articles and if you need further assistance contact Veeam backup team.

Make a Veeam backup copy to Microsoft Azure

Direct Restore to Azure for Veeam Backups

If you want to backup entire Hyper-V VM to Azure refer the below link:

Preparing to back up workloads using Azure Backup Server

Disclaimer:

This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:52 AM
  • Hi All,

Yes my host server is on-premise .

We are using veeam endpoint to back up all vms to a local NAS box.

But would like to be able to restore from the NAS box its Linux Ubuntu system to a VM I have created on my azure account is this possible.

Currently on each VM  ia m using the Microsoft Azure Backup agent I am backing up files and folders and drives but not entire VM's

I don't know where to go from here

Any help would be appreciated should I be using ASR??

Thanks

Mark

Marcus

Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Q. would like to be able to restore from the NAS box its Linux Ubuntu system to a VM I have created on my azure account is this possible.

Ans : If your NAS box has remote SMB V3 capability, you can deploy DPM/MABS as a VM (Prerequisites to install MABS) and have its VHDs stored on NAS box.

If your NAS box don’t have remote SMB V3 capability, we have a feedback item for this, so if you are interested please vote for it at - https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm/suggestions/9396531-dpm-protecting-nas-cifs-shares

When you say, “Currently on each VM I am using the Microsoft Azure Backup agent I am backing up files and folders and drives but not entire VM's” have installed Backup agent on Azure VMs or on-premises VMs?

If you want to take a backup of entire Azure VM refer the below link:

Backing up Azure virtual machines

If you want to take a backup of entire on-premises VM refer the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-microsoft-azure-backup

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Sunday, July 9, 2017 1:15 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:58 PM