Need to get new computer and run multiple versions of Office RRS feed

• Question

• I do occasional office automation development (mostly Access/Excel), and two of my main clients still use Office 2003.  Others use Office 2007.  I desperately need to get a new computer and now we're up to at least Office 2010.  I understand that it's best to start by installing the oldest versions first, so I would want to start with 2003.  I have the disks from Dell but Office 2003 came preinstalled, so I think they're OEM.  I obviously need to do it so that all versions work as they would on a PC with only one version so that I can continue to support all clients.

Where should I start?  Buy a new computer without Office pre-installed and then buy Office 2010?  Would that entitle me to the previous versions as well?  How would I get them?

TIA for any help.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:59 PM

All replies

• Not sure on the licensing aspects, but safest is to have latest version native on your Windows 7 then have virtual drives for the older Office versions. That prevents any inter-version glitches introducing bugs to your development.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Thanks.  That sounds doable.  I know nothing about virtual drives but just watched a youtube video, and it looks like something I could do.  Yikes, I see now that the latest version is Office 2013!  Assuming I get a machine with that, then I would just create two virtual drives, putting Office 2007 in one and 2003 in the other?  (And maybe eventually create another in case I ever need Office 2010?)
    Monday, March 11, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Although not supported you should be able to run multiple Office versions in the same system on the same drive. However it's important to install in order of oldest version first. Also place each Excel/Office version in its own directory, eg

...\program files\Microsoft Office_11
    ..\Microsoft Office_12
    for 2003 & 2007, and similarly _14 & _15 for 2010 & 2013

You can only install one version of Outlook.

AFAIK you cannot mix 32/64 bit versions without using a virtual machine.

Peter Thornton

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:12 PM