FBWF - Free space issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having a strange problem with my XPe images while using the FBWF. I'm not even sure if this is by design or not, but when I have the FBWF enabled, the free space on the active partition is the exact size of the overlay cache. For example, if my overlay cache is set to 150MB's and the FBWF is enabled, the free space on the active partition will show around 150MB's, even though I know the free space is 600MB's+.

All of the images I have made are doing this, does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

While i'm on the topic, sometimes when I enable the FBWF and restart, it will not enable. It will say that it is enabled when I type 'fbwfmgr' into the command prompt, but during testing, I find that it is not actually enabled. Is this a common occurance or am I the only one with this problem as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I am just a few tweaks away from having some top quality XPe images.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Jordan,

FBWF has two size display modes, actual and virtual.  In virtual mode, the free space is equal to the space you have for writing to the protected region (i.e. the remaining space in the overlay cache).  

You can check the actual and virtual sizes using fbwfmgr, using the getactualsize  and getvirtualsize switches.

To have explorer and dir display actual sizes, try the following:

1. fbwfmgr /setsizedisplay 0

2. reboot

If this fixes the issue, in the future you can set this from Target Designer by unchecking the  "Virtual size display mode"  box in the FBWF component settings.

fbwfmgr reference:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb521396.aspx

Sarah

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Jordan,

FBWF has two size display modes, actual and virtual.  In virtual mode, the free space is equal to the space you have for writing to the protected region (i.e. the remaining space in the overlay cache).  

You can check the actual and virtual sizes using fbwfmgr, using the getactualsize  and getvirtualsize switches.

To have explorer and dir display actual sizes, try the following:

1. fbwfmgr /setsizedisplay 0

2. reboot

If this fixes the issue, in the future you can set this from Target Designer by unchecking the  "Virtual size display mode"  box in the FBWF component settings.

fbwfmgr reference:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb521396.aspx

Sarah

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  

Thanks for the suggestion, but my fbwfmgr console will not accept the /setsizedisplay command. Also, the FBWF settings in Target Designer does not contain the "Virtual Size Display Mode" option either. Am I using an outdated version of FBWF, and if so, how do I get the lastest one? I have FP2007 and SU2, and the version of FBWF I am using is 5.1.2600.3333, R3333.

Thanks for your help

Monday, June 9, 2008 5:53 PM