none
Intellisense crash RRS feed

• Question

• I get a lot of Intellisense crashes in the VFP IDE, which unfortunately makes me lose anything I haven't saved.  The crashes generally happen right after I enter a comma in a function argument list.  I have Intellisense Plus installed, and the crashes happen whether or not I've got Plus turned on.  There are no crashes if Intellisense is turned completely off.  It seems to come in spurts, where it won't happen much and then happens all the time.

Has anything else had this problem?  Is there any setting which might help it?

Monday, July 29, 2019 7:12 PM

All replies

• No idea what IntelliSense Plus is, but I can't remember having a crash related to IntelliSense, so my first suggestion would be to uninstall IntelliSense Plus.

Tamar

Monday, July 29, 2019 8:29 PM
  • I had C5 errors with intellisense, and the core reason simply is a defect of the intellisense data. Very rare, as you mainly only read it, One occasion it's changed is using the XML Web Services feature of the Task Pane to register a Web Service, which adds Intellisense to a web services methods via its WSDL definition, so you can write XML Web service usage with intellissense support.

I guess your IntelliSense Plus tool also adds/updates intellisense data. Any write handling of a dbf can corrupt it, even just exclusive single use. Besides I tend to use multiple VFP sessions, that's when you also use the intellisense data shared multiple times.

But there is an option to rebuild it. Tools->Intellisense Manager -> Advanced tab -> Clean up. Warning: You lose all modifications you or your tool made.

I wouldn't say any Intellisense tool that makes extended use of intellisense data is bad, but it surely would be bad, if such a tool does very frequent changes of inellisense data.

------------------

Oh. and another occasion I has C5 errors with intellisense was with an OCX. That really turned out as a known bug of the OCX and the way intellisense infers intellitips from the typelib of an OCX, a broken typelib can cause VFP to error.

So take a close look, if you get problems when handling a specific ActiveX control or very generally.

Bye, Olaf.

Friday, August 2, 2019 5:33 AM