none
How to bind xml into Excel content pane by using Javascript API RRS feed

• Question

• In VSTO, we can bind xml file or xml string into excel ,and display the data in excel, but I don't know how to bind xml into Excel Content app by using Javascript API, and display the xml data in Content app. I help someone can help me and give me some code snippets;

Thanks  a lot 

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> but I don't know how to bind xml into Excel Content app by using JavaScript API, and display the xml data in Content app <<

Apps for Office emphasize interaction with Cloud, and Client Object Model features are only partially supported by Apps for Office (See Roadmap for Apps for Office, VSTO, and VBA). If you need to interact with client object model deeply and frequently, I think VSTO would be a more proper choice.

We are not able to bind local XML file to Excel Content App directly; to achieve this goal, we can navigate end-user to import the XML data into current workbook, and then you could bind the specific data range to your app using Binding object. After that, we could display data in Excel Content App according to your requirement.

Here is a sample about how to Visualize and interact with Excel data:

Apps for Office: Visualizing and interacting with Excel data

If you have any feedback for Office Development Platform, please feel free to submit them to User Voice.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

>> but I don't know how to bind xml into Excel Content app by using JavaScript API, and display the xml data in Content app <<

Apps for Office emphasize interaction with Cloud, and Client Object Model features are only partially supported by Apps for Office (See Roadmap for Apps for Office, VSTO, and VBA). If you need to interact with client object model deeply and frequently, I think VSTO would be a more proper choice.

We are not able to bind local XML file to Excel Content App directly; to achieve this goal, we can navigate end-user to import the XML data into current workbook, and then you could bind the specific data range to your app using Binding object. After that, we could display data in Excel Content App according to your requirement.

Here is a sample about how to Visualize and interact with Excel data:

Apps for Office: Visualizing and interacting with Excel data

If you have any feedback for Office Development Platform, please feel free to submit them to User Voice.

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:57 AM