none
Media Center

Question

• I installed and validated Windows Vista 5270 today (Jan 2, 2006). When I tried to load Media Center I got the message "This trial version has expired and can no longer be used." If I reset the computer date to Dec 31, 2005 or earlier, Media Center loads OK. Seems like the expiry date for Media Center in CTP build 5270 has been set to 1/1/2006.

Are there any other programs in 5270 that share this problem, and will we be getting updated versions with a more realistic expiry date?

Monday, January 2, 2006 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Same problem here :-(

I hope it's a joke ???

Sincerly,

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 3:23 AM
  • Mike et all,

I too have the same issues, it appears the code for MCE is not activated?  Anyone know how to activate this?

James

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 7:20 PM
  • me too....

mc was coming up -- I was getting the drivers sorted out for the pvr and tuner stuff...

now no MCE for me :-(

Wednesday, January 4, 2006 1:21 AM
  • This is happening to everyone, The 5270 build was timebombed for 1/1 so no one can currently test on this build.

sorry,

Josh

http://windowsconnected.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2006 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

Indeed.

To test Vista, it is enough to live one year behind...

Cordially,

FDDKDR ( :-Fred-: )

Thursday, January 5, 2006 1:32 AM
  •  Josh Phillips wrote:

This is happening to everyone, The 5270 build was timebombed for 1/1 so no one can currently test on this build.

sorry,

Josh

http://windowsconnected.com

??

I am using the last MSDN iso, only Media Center is not working.

do you mean that they bombed MC for 1/1 but not the rest of the OS bits?

Thursday, January 5, 2006 8:51 PM
  • The solution for this issue (in the form of a 1MB patch) was posted in the MSDN subscriber downloads on 05Jan2006.  Labeled:

Update to Resolve Expired Notification When Launching Media Center in Windows Vista December 2005 CTP - 64bit (English)
    Update to Resolve Expired Notification When Launching Media Center in Windows Vista December 2005 CTP - 32bit (English)

For what its worth.  I wasn't having the issue nor know that the solution works; just noted that a solution had been posted.

-Alan

Friday, January 6, 2006 1:01 PM
  • This patch is not available on TechNet.

Anyone here that could mail me the 64 bit?

gert_hansen_dk@msn.com

tkx

Friday, January 6, 2006 1:18 PM
  • I ran en_MC_Patch_windows_vista_ctp_december_2005_32bit.exe file in Safe Mode and got the response "The operation completed successfully", but Media Center was still expired. There was a log file KB1447411CBS.log created in Windows\servicing but this did not have any clear information.

I ran the patch from Windows Explorer, and saw similar output displayed. Two log files were created - KB1447411CBS.log and KB1447411CSI.log. The second log was in a more readable format but I could find no clue to the problem.

Has anyone managed to apply this patch and revive Media Center successfully?

Mike...

Saturday, January 7, 2006 4:19 PM
  • Installed Vista on 1-5-2006.  Received the above error message when attempting to use Media Center.  Ran the en_MC_Patch_windows_vista_ctp_december_2005_64bit.exe file.  Media Center works now.
    Saturday, January 7, 2006 6:00 PM
  • i need this patch, will somebody send it to me?

Sunday, January 8, 2006 9:55 AM
  • hi

I can acce msdn dowload beacause i have lost my id, somebody can join me for this problem plz ???

If u r ok u can add me : maxoudu328@hotmail.com

and i can't active my beta's version too Oo somebody have a sulotion for this ???

Thank u and see u soon ^^ .

Sunday, January 8, 2006 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Ran the en_MC_Patch_windows_vista_ctp_december_2005_32bit.exe file with Vista 5270 32 bits.

And, yes, it's fine.

Media Center works now.

Sincerly

Sunday, January 8, 2006 11:39 PM
  • ive had the same issues, i downloaded the update for this and i get the error
    "not enough storage is available to proccess the command" "installation did not complete"
    when the patch is extracting prior to these messages i can see that the path it is extracting to
    is a temp folder on my f:\ drive, vista is installed on my e:\ .
    the "e" drive has 6gb free space and the "f" drive has 15gb free space, no drive on my computer
    has less than 5gb free space left, any ideas?
    any help on this matter is appriciated

Kevin Folks
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:41 AM
  • Can I get that patch sent to me.

thanks

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:59 PM
  • can some one please pretty pleaseeee send the patch too for the 32bit version please plz i really need it djrerun@rogers.com ... =(
    Sunday, April 2, 2006 7:07 AM