Forced ranking in sharepoint list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I'm looking into possibility of adding "forced ranking" to a sharepoint list.

Is it feasible to have a column in a sharepoint list that could be used to force rank the items?

I.e. say there is a list that has TITLE and RANK column.

test2 1
    test1 2
    test3 3

Adding a row "test4" with rank 1 would set the entire list as such:
    test4 1
    test2 2
    test1 3
    test3 4

I.e. I'm looking for a way to order/reorder list w/o having to change every single row RANK manually.

Thanks for any info / suggestions.

Best regards,
    -Pavel
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Pavel,

You're sot of in luck - this came up just the other day on Stump the Panel (found via End User Sharepoint)

Here's a direct copy from that:

The Bad News:
    There isn't really a way to add an automatic "re-ordering" column to an existing list.

The Good News:
    The Links list-type already includes an order column. You might be able to achieve your goals by adding fields to a links list.

Mike

• Marked as answer by pchernik Friday, April 3, 2009 3:53 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Pavel,

You're sot of in luck - this came up just the other day on Stump the Panel (found via End User Sharepoint)

Here's a direct copy from that:

The Bad News:
    There isn't really a way to add an automatic "re-ordering" column to an existing list.

The Good News:
    The Links list-type already includes an order column. You might be able to achieve your goals by adding fields to a links list.

Mike

• Marked as answer by pchernik Friday, April 3, 2009 3:53 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Thanks Mike!
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:53 AM
  • You can use this feature below to add reorder functionality of link list to custom lists in sharepoint.  It is available on codeplex.com

http://spyralout.com/2010/08/06/reordering-list-items/

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:30 PM