In 2017.2: schema validation warning: VS403348: Control type TestStepsControl RRS feed

• Question

• I encountered a difference between TFS 2017.1 and TFS 2017.2. The same work item definition is fine in 2017.1 and gives a warning in 2017.2:

TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: VS403348: Control type TestStepsControl is not recognized in WebLayout.

This happens for the work item types having this entry: 'Shared Step' and 'Test Case'.

I do not see a difference in the Scrum template wrt this definition from .1 to .2:

<Group Label="Steps">
                  <Control Label="Steps" Type="TestStepsControl" FieldName="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.Steps">
                    <CustomControlOptions />
                  </Control>
                </Group>

What is causing this?

Diederick

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Diederick,

I upgraded my TFS 2017.2 RC1 to 15.117.26615.0 (Tfs2017.Update2.RC2). And I reproduced your issue.

In VS 2015:

In VS 2017:

But I found that the test case work item type definition has already changed even if get a error or a warning.

I reported a problem here, please wait for developer team's response.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 31, 2017 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Diederick,

Could you please share steps to reproduce your issue? Did you use TFS 2017.2 which released on 07/24/2017?

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:59 AM
  • The TFS version is the 2017.2 RTM version published July 24.

The same XML definition of the both 'Shared Step' and 'Test Case' (which are the only two containing above listed XML) is applied through "witadmin importwitd /collection:CollectionURL /p:Project /f:FileName ". The import into 2017.1 applies without warning, whereas on the import into 2017.2 the validation warning is thrown.

The import does succeed and the TestStepsControl is shown correctly.

I'll try tomorrow the validation option to both versions (witadmin importwitd /v) [currently no access].

Diederick

Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Hi Diederick,

Did you want to customize "shared steps" and "test case" WIT definition? Please export default one from TFS 2017.2 then change it, will this time get error when import it?

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 28, 2017 7:43 AM
  • I do get this warning with the standard delivered Scrum template (so before any local customizations). So it is not due to local modifications.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -- Template as downloaded from TFS 2017.2 (no modification)

-- Import to TFS 2017 Update 2
    C:\Temp\Scrum-2017.2\WorkItem Tracking\TypeDefinitions>witadmin importwitd /collection:https://tfs-2017.2 /f:SharedStep.xml /v
    TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: VS403348: Control type TestStepsControl is not recognized in WebLayout.
    The work item type is valid.

-- Import to TFS 2017 Update 1
    C:\Temp\Scrum-2017.2\WorkItem Tracking\TypeDefinitions>witadmin importwitd /collection:https://tfs-2017.1 /f:SharedStep.xml /v

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -- Template as downloaded from TFS 2017.1 (no modification)

-- Import to TFS 2017 Update 2

C:\Temp\Scrum-2017.1\WorkItem Tracking\TypeDefinitions>witadmin importwitd /collection:https://tfs-2017.2 /f:SharedStep.xml /v

-- Import to TFS 2017 Update 1
    C:\Temp\Scrum-2017.1\WorkItem Tracking\TypeDefinitions>witadmin importwitd /collection:https://tfs-2017.1 /f:SharedStep.xml /v

Diederick

Friday, July 28, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi Diederick,

Could you please upload your SharedStep.xml to OneDrive and share the link here?

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 28, 2017 8:53 AM
  • As I said: it is the standard Scrum work item (so no need to upload). So, export either of these two work item types from a project based on the standard Microsoft Scrum template and run the validation:

C:\Temp>witadmin exportwitd /collection:https://2017.2 /p:StandardScrum /n:"Test Case" /f:TestCase.xml
    Operation complete.

C:\Temp>witadmin importwitd /collection:https://2017.2 /f:TestCase.xml /v
    TF212017: Work item tracking schema validation warning: VS403348: Control type TestStepsControl is n
    ot recognized in WebLayout.

Diederick

Friday, July 28, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Hi Diederick,

I upgraded my TFS 2017.2 RC1 to 15.117.26615.0 (Tfs2017.Update2.RC2). And I reproduced your issue.

In VS 2015:

In VS 2017:

But I found that the test case work item type definition has already changed even if get a error or a warning.

I reported a problem here, please wait for developer team's response.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 31, 2017 6:13 AM
  • I'm using:

TFS 2017 (15.117.26714.0 (Tfs2017.Update2))
    Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (15.3.5)
    Agile Project with no modifications.
    WitAdmin.exe (15.117.26830.0)

Executing a powershell script that use witadmin to export all that could be exported.
    Without making any changes on any of the exported xml files I continue with next step
    Executing a powershell script that use witadmin to import all that I recently exported.

Operation fails for Shared Steps and Test Case with following error for both:

witadmin.exe : Warning: VS403348: Control type TestStepsControl is not recognized in WebLayout.
    At C:\Tfs\Repos\AlmTools-RayCare\Witd\test\ImportAll.ps1:55 char:4
    +    &$witadminApp "ImportWitd" /collection:$collectionUrl /p:$projectN ...

So most certainly this must be a bug that is still Active in Tfs2017.Update2

Lennart

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Continued my explorations and did following:

I added a string field to the Test Case template, for that string field I added a FieldControl for both the old Layout as well as the new WebLayout.

Tried importing it and got the same warning.

Went into the Project and created a new Test Case, the new WebLayout is Active and the newly added control didn't show up.

Switched to the old Layout and the control showed as supposed.

Switched back to the new WebLayout and now the control shows up.

Exported the Test Case witd again and the file looked exactly like it did when I imported it after my modifications, new field and Controls are present...

If I try to import it once again without any further modifications it shows the same warning again.

Lennart

• Edited by Lennart A Jansson Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:55 AM Added more information
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Lennart

This bug was introduced (and found) in TFS 2017.2, so yes it is in that version.

In the related bug it is stated that it is resolved "in the next version of TFS", so that would be 2017.3 and 2018. I'm going to verify soon in 2018.

Diederick

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi Diederick,

I can confirm that the issue no longer exists in TFS 2018.RC2 (Version 16.122.26918.3). Just ran my testscript on it... Also verified that the control TestStepsControl actually still exists in the definitions and they do...

Cheers
    Lennart

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 9:30 AM